We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Question

Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
337 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Question

Could anyone please tell us how long we could estimate from landing at Gatwick in the North Terminal and exiting the airport to arrive at the National Express Coach office? We'll have Euro passports and only carry-on.

Would 30 minutes do it? Many thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Question

You might do it in 30 minutes but one hour would be more prudent.

Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
337 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Question

Thanks Joe.

You were quick with your answer!

Any other opinions?

We have to race to LHR!

Many thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Question

See #1.

What time of day? The road between Gatwick and Heathrow is the most congested in the UK. "race" is not a word I associate with it. "crawl" comes to mind. Can you not alter your flights to use the same airport?

Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
337 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Question

A Sunday afternoon in late April between 2:15 pm and 4:15 pm.

BA considers it a "viable connection"! We phoned them....

They said they'd book us on the next flight & put us up in a hotel if we miss the flight.

We have no choice now but to go for booked flights.

Now considering what transport to use: National Express or Blackberry cars, hence the question. We'll only have carry-on luggage.

Thanks peterscot!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Question

¡Que horror!

Three hours is the minimum connection time for LGW to LHR transfers, but I'd allow twice that. Since you have next to no wriggle room, I'd say a car service may be a better choice than National Express coach.

BA's duty of care is outlined in their Conditions of Carriage; here's hoping you won't have to utilise that duty of care.

Morelos, Mexico
Level Contributor
337 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Question

Dear TravellerPlus,

Thank you so much ( again) for your advice.

We trust BA stands by what the customer service rep said on the phone.

We hope to cut down on our airport time by having carry-on.

That is why I asked the follow-up Gatwick question. i.e. quick exit from plane to Arrivals.

Annoying that BA website still posts the same itinerary as viable for this journey.

We won't have a mobile phone and so Blackberry appears to be the best car company for our purposes.

Fingers Crossed!

Thanks everyone!

I have to promise to report back to TA on our journey via BA and the connection.

London
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Question

Just to manage your expectations..... BA have a 35 minute policy at Heathrow. What that means is you must have cleared the security checkpoint at Heathrow 35 minutes before your flight time, and if you arrive at 34 minutes you won't be allowed through. BA are extremely strict about this rule.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Question

I can't see how you'll make it using National Express. Even with a car service, you're going to struggle.

You have to assume that you plane will land on time at 2.15pm. You then have to get off the plane, and through Immigration, which could take 30 minutes if you're lucky. The European Community queue at Immigration isn't always fast, btw, especially if several planeloads arrive at once.

The journey between Gatwick and Heathrow by car (not coach - National Express' fastest train is 1 hour, 5 mins in no traffic to T1, e.g.) can take about 45-50 minutes if there is no traffic at all (and depending on the terminal), but that is rare. That's already an hour and 15 minutes spent if all of the above runs smoothly, and you still have to check in and go through security before the 35 minute policy takes effect. Basically, all being well, you'll have 10 minutes to check in and get through security in this ideal scenario.

Forget National Express, book a car, and hope that the travel gods speed you along.

London
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Question

I would get back onto BA. Their own documents say the minimum connection is three hours (and frankly that really isn't enough).

https:/…UKM5629_T3_Online_Ticket_Wallet.pdf

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Question

A Sunday afternoon in late April between 2:15 pm and 4:15 pm.

------

That can't be right, the MCT that BA publish is 3 hours and as said, that's not enough so 2 hours is pretty much impossible. If the times you wrote above are correct, then as rcspeirs above says, get back onto BA, you need longer, and they will have to give it to you. How did this ever get booked in the first place?

BTW I missed the Euro passports bit, so 30 minutes is possible with no luggage, but even if it was 15 minutes, 2 hours is an almost guaranteed miss because as said you don't have 2 hours you have about 90 minutes. Get the flights changed. If for whatever reason you can't (and I can think of no reason why not) then a car service is vital.