We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converter Plug Help

Benton, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Converter Plug Help

I am needing help picking out a converter. All I will be charging is my iphone, ipad mini and my camera battery. I was wondering what you guys recommend. I will be in London, Paris, Rome and Athens. Not sure if they all use the same type of plug or not. Also I saw on Ebay where they sell a EU charger for the iphone. Will that work? Thanks!

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converter Plug Help

UK have different plugs than rest of europe - we have 3 pin plugs France, Italy and Greece all use two pin round plugs. So think you will need UK plus eu chargers.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Converter Plug Help

French two pin plugs will not fit into Italian two pin plugs.

Basically get a multi-country adaptor that you can use in various countries. My one fits UK, France, Italian and Swiss outlets which are all different. It's just one plug but has a "Swiss army knife" like function where different pins can flip out for different locations.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Converter Plug Help

Terminology:- Converter = Converts 240v to 110v (shouldn't need one to charge what's on your list (they should be dual voltage, 110v - 240v written on the power brick). Plug adapter:- Converts your US plugs to fit UK/Mainland Europe wall sockets.

Benton, Arkansas...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converter Plug Help

Ok so I need the adopter and not a converter. Are there any brands that are better? I have been researching them but got so confused so I decided to ask for help. Thanks guys.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Converter Plug Help

www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm

Scroll down to the "laptop computer" section.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Converter Plug Help

I'm sure you could get something similar to this in the US before you leave:

beststuff.co.uk/store/Power-Bright-WT-141-Wo…

Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Converter Plug Help

I bought (expecting) these :

amazon.com/gp/…

Do they seem all right?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Converter Plug Help

Well,they look like they'll do the job of converting your US plugs BUT it looks like they are not fused, "most" power circuits in the UK are "ring circuits" which are rated at 32amps, hence UK plugs have fuses in them to protect the device that is plugged in (2, 3, 5, 7,10, or 13 amp fuses).

…tiscali.co.uk/images/…0008n020.jpg

Edited: 23 February 2013, 22:13
Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Converter Plug Help

Oh dear, I didn't understand quite a bit of that ;-). But maybe what I will do, if these don't seem to be protection enough, is contact my hotel and see what they think, and also if they have any that are free to use. I am also going to Cornwall, and I doubt if my friend where I am staying has any, so maybe I'll end up having to get different ones anyone. I chose them because the reviews from the people who had used them in the UK seemed to be quite good. No problems.

The link you provided is an UK link-I'm trying to find something similar in the US that has the same specs. If anyone knows..

Edited: 23 February 2013, 22:20
Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Converter Plug Help

Please excuse fast spelling typos!