We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

Hi everyone

My first trip to London, my wife was here 30 years ago so we are both starting from scratch.

We have three nights in London mid way through a UK trip and have booked at the Caring Hotel, Craven Hill Gardens in the Bayswater area. Having not visited London before, it was a challenge choosing an area and indeed a hotel. Trip Advisor as usual has been our friend.

We have bitten the bullett, we've made our decision, now just trying to get some ideas of local Pubs, restaurants and general places to visit while we are there. And, even though we've booked, what are your thoughts about that area for a few days stay?

Any suggestions welcome....with thanks. I can't wait!

Steve

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

Very much a budget option but one of the better ones judging by the reviews.

The area around Bayswater & Queensway tube stations itself is quite lively although the street you are on is full of mainly budget hotels and is fairly quiet.. Queensway has restaurants, pubs, convenience stores, The Whiteleys centre that includes a cinema and there is even an ice rink.

Tubes and buses will get you pretty much anywhere in tourist London within half an hour.

To be honest it's not my favourite area of London. To me it has rather a transient feel caused partly by the amount of budget hotels and rental accommodation but it's quite safe and I am sure you will have a great time.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 16:25
Derry, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

I've stayed in Bayswater a few times and like the area. There's not a huge amount going on at night in my experience, there are a few pubs and restaurants around but there are livlier areas.

Having said that, being close to Baywater and Queensway tube stations means you're within very easy reach of virtually anywhere in London should you want to explore. Also, you're right at the entrance to Hyde Park which is great. All in all I like it as a base to plan your stay from.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

I stayed at the Bayswater Inn which was three blocks from the Bayswater Metro. I found it to be a convenient location to see the sights. I agree with the above post by richw. Happy travels!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

I really do appreciate your thoughts. I guess you've confirmed what I was hoping!

While I realise it is at the budget end of the accommodation spectrum, I would much rather have something clean, tidy but in a good location so we can spend our hard earned while awake, rather than asleep!

Cheers again, and thanks.

Steve

Edited: 28 February 2013, 08:44
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,712 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

Hope you're aware not all rooms are ensuite (if that is an issue). Otherwise it looks like a decent hotel. Plenty of places to eat and drink on Westbourne Grove and there is the Victoria pub near Paddington, but there are lots of places to spend the evening all over London; no need to restrict yourself to Bayswater

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,518 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

Around there, I'd go here.

www.mitrelancastergate.com/

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

I know it has mixed reviews, but I have always enjoyed The Swan Pub, it's closer to Lancaster Gate than Queensway, but it's a decent pub with decent food and ale.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,518 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

Yup. Forget the fare, on a summer's day the Swan has no peer.

9. Re: Caring Hotel, Bayswater...reasonable location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:17