We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

A spot of Googling tells me there's a Sainsbury's, Simply Food and Waitrose within 3-20 minutes walk from Earls Court station. I'd probably want to pick up some fresh fruit, breakfast-type foods, sandwich fixings and snacks.

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of how these stores compare to one another? Do they all have pretty much the same food selection? Does one do pre-made meals better than the others?

I'm also wondering if I'd be able to find lactose-free milk in any of these branch locations. It's no big deal if I can't, but I don't want to go on a wild goose chase either.

Also, do I need to bring my own grocery bags or does the store provide bags?

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, would Tesco be the best place to stock up on chocolate bars to fill my suitcase with?

Thanks very much!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

They're all fine - I suspect most of us use a combination of all three. e.g. I don't like Waitrose sandwiches for some reason. They all provide carrier bags (and bags for life), although M&S charge 5p for larger plastic bags. Just go in and see what takes your fancy.

They'll probably all stock some chocolate bars, but personally I think Selfridges or Waitrose at John Lewis (both on Oxford St) have better selections.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

I think the Sainsbury's is only a Local, so a limited range of convenience foods. Waitrose probably has the widest selection of groceries. S or SF for ready meals.

Both S and W appear to stock lactofree

www.lactofree.co.uk/products/dairy-drink/

Lactofree is not suitable for those with cows' milk allergy or galactosaemia

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

I should add there are branches of Sainsbury's, M&S (Simply Food)., Tesco and to a lesser extent Waitrose, as well as sandwich shops like Pret and Eat all over the place so no need to buy just from Earls Court to lug around. M&S probably has the widest range of ready meals in any of its stores, even the smaller one, Waitrose tends to be pricey. Sainsbury's is better value. (Generalising).

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

My wife and I absolutely loved Pret a Manger while we were in London. We probably ate there 4 times in 5 days lol. I know it's the best thing, but there were two very near where we stayed, and it's cheapish.

London
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

All of these chains sell lactose-free milk, but I don't know about these particular stores. You'll find a greater variety of milks in London than in US stores I think. There are also street markets and stalls where you can buy fruit, and they're also safe to eat.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 21:07
London
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

"I know it's the best thing, but ..." Sorry, Sam, I don't understand. What do you mean?

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

oops, meant to say "I know it's NOT the best thing"

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

I haven't been to any of the stores in Earl's Court but I think it depends on what you are after. Waitrose can (usually) offer better quality ingredients and "pop in the oven" meals than (depending on the location of the store) M&S and then Sainsburys.

Just an observation, but I am not a great fan of most ready meals (with the gloopy sauces). It might cost a little bit more, but I much prefer to phone my local chinese/Indian/Thai/Italian restos to get them to give me a takeaway (and many will deliver these days).

She sits back and waits to take the flak......!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,734 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

The wine offering at Sainsbury's is quite outstanding.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earls Court: Sainsbury's vs Simply Food vs Waitrose

tdav, There is a small Sainsbury's Local on Earls Court Road, and a much larger Sainsburys (and therefore with a wider range of food items) on Cromwell Road.

Waitrose is on Cromwell Road near Gloucester Road tube station. It's not open Sundays, by the way. And if you are staying in Earls Court it's not as convenient as Sainsburys and unlike to have anything more than that supermarket does anyway.

Sainsbury's tends to be slightly cheaper than Waitrose and M&S Simply Food. All have packaged foods including sandwiches, salads, and meals you can heat and eat.

I've used all of them when staying in Earls Court/South Ken. I tend to do a main shop at Sainsbury's then pick up smaller items, food on the go (sandwiches etc) from either M&S Food, or if staying near Gloucester Road, Tesco Express. Boots also does snack/sealed sandwiches, just so you know.