We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Number of bags allowed by UK security?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Number of bags allowed by UK security?

Is this still accurate info? I usually travel with a carry on plus a large purse/tote that I doubt I could stuff in my carry on even to make it through security.

You are allowed 1bag only, at European airport and this is enforced rigorously. You'll be OK coming into the UK from the US, but after that, including in transit, its 1 bag only. You are at liberty to put one bag inside the other if it fits and then take out the other side of security, since the 1 bag rule is a security rule, not an airline rule.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

The amount of bags depends on the airline. If you are booking a discount airline like EasyJet or Ryanair, then yes, the AIRLINE enforces this rule to the letter.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

It varies by airline and airport. For example, Ryanair strictly enforces the 1-bag rule at all airports, whereas BA permits a carry-on plus a laptop case or handbag. However, I believe at least one London-area airport restricts to one bag. Best to check with your airline.

Are you thinking of the liquid rules maybe?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

At one point there was a restriction on the number of bags you could take through security. I know this because DH had a problem at Heathrow T4 Security (not the gate or check-in) transiting from Paris to Calgary in 2007. He had a laptop case and a camera bag and they wanted him put them together...which was impossible.

But now I'm pretty sure its up to the airline and Security just checks whatever you have.

https:/…overview

Edited: 27 February 2013, 21:05
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

I was concerned because this seemed to be an airport rule (we will be departing from Heathrow) enforced at security and different from the airline rule. We are flying United which also allows one carry on and one personal item.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

It was a Government rule, not airport, not airline, from several years ago. It's long since been abolished

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

I do use Cash Storage Bag to secure my currency when I am on travel. This bag will not be allowed for security purpose?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,467 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

Why would it not unless the contents fail currency regulations?

UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

You can take as many bags as you wish through uk security. It is only when you get to the departure gates that limits on size and numbers of bags are enforced depending on which airline you are travelling with.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

With Ryanair you must put all other bags i.e. handbag, laptop bag etc., in one bag to take on board the plane, and this must not exceed 10kgs enforceable at the departure gate, with Monarch you can take more than one bag as long as the bags you have do not exceed the weight allowed on the plane as hand luggage.

Easyjet have the same policy as Ryanair.

But I think that more expensive airlines are not so strict, however, those travelling with more expensive airlines probably have hold luggage included in the ticket price so take very little on board the plane whereas those travelling no-frills try to limit the number of suitcases going in the hold due to the add-on expenses of doing so and end up cramming as much as they can in their hand luggage.

Am pretty sure that no-frills airlines make up any losses incurred due to passengers not paying for hold luggage by charging exorbitant fees if they are found to be taking too large or too heavy a piece of hand luggage onto the plane.

You can't pull a fast one on the likes of O' Leary.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Number of bags allowed by UK security?

@Simony 'You can take as many bags as you wish through uk security. It is only when you get to the departure gates that limits on size and numbers of bags are enforced depending on which airline you are travelling with.'

Your bags are checked during check in with the airline, to much/to many bags they will be checked in as hold luggage or you would have to re-arrange your luggage to accommodate excess or pay for it. And this also depend on which class of travel your flying in and if you have extra allowance due to status.

You are allowed the following by United which is ok at least you can carry two bags (of course within the permitted size)

united.com/CMS/…BaggageCarry-On.aspx