We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train advice from london to.....

USA
9 posts
Save Topic
Train advice from london to.....

Hello everyone,

My family, which includes a 10 year old and a 13 year old, will be in the London in June. From there we will be heading to Edinburgh, then Glasgow, then York and back to London. I understand that we can get the cheapest fares if we buy 90 days out. We are fast approaching that 90 day period and I need help figuring this all out. Can anyone offer advice on what type of tickets I should purchase--family railcards, one way, roundtrip. It is very confusing for a first timer! Thank you in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train advice from london to.....

I understand that we can get the cheapest fares if we buy 90 days out

=====

Its 12 weeks, roughly. Doesn't stick to a strict timetable, its not exactly 12 weeks, it might be 11 weeks, or 11 weeks 3 days, or exactly12 weeks and it may differ between train companies. Rarely if every more than 12 weeks.

There is no trick to working out the cheapest, you have to do the sums yourself.

Does the cost of a family travelcard (only valid on some journeys) plus reduced price fares, come to less than cost of tickets that arent eligible for railcards?

Are you happy to buy the very cheapest tickets that are for specific timed trains, or do you want more flexibility and ability to get trains over a range of times?

Will you pay a bit extra for more room in 1st class, or with a family of 4(?) is all 4 of you around one table in standard class OK?

Is it cheaper to buy a return or two singles one in each direction? (It depends).

It is definitely confusing I agree :-)

Perhaps ask on the train travel forum also ?

Edited: 27 February 2013, 23:23
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train advice from london to.....

Hi.

I'll start you off, plan your trips using this site..

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

The cheap tickets that you are looking for are "Advance Tickets". They usually become available 12 weeks prior to the departure date. They limit you to the specific train that you have booked.

This travel card is the one that you want..

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/

There is no need to purchase the card before you buy your tickets, just tick the card box when you order your tickets and purchase the card at the station before you board the first train.

Good luck!

USA
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train advice from london to.....

Thank you both for your advice. The Family and Friends Railcard will be purchased, for sure!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train advice from london to.....

Is there any particular reason you are visiting the cities in that particular order? The reason I ask is that London->Edinburgh you will pass through York, and Glasgow->York you will pass through Edinburgh.It might be cheaper (and certainly less travelling time overall) if you changed the order of your visits: London-Glasgow-Edinburgh-York-London (or the reverse) makes the most sense and avoids any back-tracking.

USA
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train advice from london to.....

Vampgirl, we are meeting friends in Edinburgh and must travel there directly after London. I do see your point though. Thanks for your response.

6. Re: Train advice from london to.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 06:17