We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Dallas
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Hello Folks..............

Can this be done in a day BY TRAIN only on our own (do not mind coming late up to 11 pm)?. Either Windsor + Bath OR Windsor + Stonehenge? I know Windsor castle + Bath + Stonehenge on our own by a train in a day MUST be nearly impossible - am I right?

Btw,I have seen point to point directions to Windsor castle and Bath from London. Have not seen how to get to Stonehenge by train - Can somebody help me here plz?

I, know Premium tours is advertising that with one of their tours (premiumtours.co.uk/tours/tour/private-sunset…) let you enter the inner stone circle @ Stonehenge. Can this be done if we do it our own? Or, I have go to with them (if it is REALLY true, is it? OR just a marketing gimmick) or with some other tour company (which one?)

Sorry, I have questions inside questions - bcoz,I have started doing detailed planning........., so...plz excuse me.

Thanks a LOT.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Hmm...

Honestly, Windsor Castle and surrounds (Windsor Great Park, the town, Eton) can take half a day. Bath deserves a full day to itself, although many people do go and spend half a day in Bath and then a 1/2 day at Stonehenge.

You would need to take a train to Salisbury to get to Stonehenge, and then a taxi or bus to Stonehenge itself.

I honestly can't see this making much sense. You say you don't mind getting back late, but Windsor, Stonehenge and even worthwhile places in Bath, like the Roman Baths, all have closing times.

You can, by the way, organize your own inner circle experience by going to the Stonehenge website. Transportation will be an issue, as the bus stops running when Stonehenge is closed, which is when the inner circle access takes place.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

When all is said and done though, you are packing in a day and a half of sightseeing into a day, and then subtracting a significant amount of travel from that time.

Even if you could swing it, you'd be glancing at your watch all day, trying to figure out the next connection/closing time, etc.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

I'd rethink the whole plan if it were me.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Thinking about it a bit more, I'd say it would be reasonable to do a day at Bath OR a day at Windsor, followed by inner circle at Stonehenge if you went in the summer when the days are long, and sunset is late.

But not all three.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Can this be done in a day BY TRAIN only on our own (do not mind coming late up to 11 pm)?. Either Windsor + Bath OR Windsor + Stonehenge? I know Windsor castle + Bath + Stonehenge on our own by a train in a day MUST be nearly impossible - am I right?

-----

No, it IS impossible, not nearly impossible, unless you didn't intend to visit into any of the places.

A tour will be more efficient use of time and probably cheaper for Windsor + Bath OR Windsor + Stonehenge. Not much advantage coming back late, practically everywhere will be shut for entry after about 5pm or earlier. (Baths stay open later some time of year)

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Anderson, Premium and Evan Evan tours all operate Special Access tours from London and Salisbury Tours from Salisbury.

You can't really do Special Access indepependently as there is no public transport to Stonehenge plus Special access takes place between 5:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 to 8 p.m..

Woth the Special Access ywith Premium you only get 90 minutes at best in Bath.

For 2 days there is not much advantage in combining Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath as Windsor is so near London and to my knowledge there is nowhere to store luggage at Windsor.

I would treat Windsor as a separate trip to Bath, Stonehenge.

Premium do Bath and Stonehenge tours that give you over 3 hours in Bath on a day trip, if you feel you need longer at Btah get a train to Bath stay overnight and take one of the half day Stonehenge trips from Bath.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Have not seen how to get to Stonehenge by train - Can somebody help me here plz?

-------------

Take the train to Salisbury from Waterloo, then the Stonehenge special bus from the station. Note however that its more expensive and takes longer to do it that way than a dedicated tour coach. So only worth doing if you REALLY hate coaches, have lots of time, or wish also to visit Salisbury.

Dallas
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Ok....I hear you ALL .....loud and clear. I guess, I need to go back to the drawing board with your valuable feedback and rework. I have 1 month to go so no worries...mate.

All all......Thanks a LOT for ur GR8888888888 feedback. Love this forum.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 11:29
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

Just a tip - Windsor is very close to London and very easy to get to by train, so try to visit it on a different day to Stonehenge / Bath - if you time it right you could still be back in London in time to visit somewhere else in the City in the afternoon.

Phil-the-Bus

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

If you must jam it all into one day, the Premium Tours Windsor, Stonehenge, lunch in Lacock and Bath tour isn't bad. The wife and I did it in September and enjoyed it a lot. Sure we didn't get 3 hours in Bath, but for us Bath wasn't that high on our list of places to see, so it was it just like an added bonus. It was a long day, about 8am-8pm, but no worse than hiking around London all day. I can't remember exactly how much time in Bath we had, but several people on the tour had time to visit the Roman Baths and Pump Room as well as the Abbey. We took this tour premiumtours.co.uk/tours/tour/small-group---…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
1,015 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windsor castle + Bath/Stonehenge - By train in a day?

I was ready to leave Stonehenge after about 30 minutes so would not recommend going out of your way to plan a grand trip to visit it (although it is a great stopping place on your way to Bath).