We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
460 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

I'm in the very early planning stages of our vacation and I wanted some help with our schedule. We only have two full days and will not be doing any activities past 8pm, so we are basically trying to see a few things and soak up the atmosphere of London.

Things we want to do -

Arrival day (7am) - Double decked bus tour - what will this take us by? Visit Harrod's and then crash for an early night.

Second and last day - London Tower in the morning and I'm looking for a child friendly afternoon tea. Any suggestions? Then we will just wander around, maybe hit a park for some energy release for the children and then eat dinner.

Does this sound like a relaxing two days? Did I miss anything that the kids would flip over? I was thinking while us girls do tea, my son and his daddy might do the London Eye, but not sure if it's more boring than thrilling for a three year old boy?

I realize we are missing some very important sites, but we can't see it all in two days and I want my children to have fun, not check off a list, so that is my main objective! Thank you!!

The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Rabbie's
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,420 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

If you think he would like to go up high and see the city from up high, he'd like the London Eye. If he would want it to go fast, he'd be bored.

For HOHO bus routes:

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx…

TBH, I think my daughter would have been bored at afternoon tea at 6 y/o, but maybe your daughter would like it.

I've heard about this one involving cupcakes:

www.beasofbloomsbury.com/pages/afternoon-tea

and others have recommended the Orangery (near Kensington Palace) with kids

hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/…Orangery

but I've never been to either. There is the Diana Memorial Playground relatively near the Orangery which my daughter liked at 10 y/o. Most of the kids were younger than she was, so I'd guess your kids would like it too.

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

Thank you for all the information!!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
503 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

I agree with the Diana memorial playground. Your kids will love it. It is Peter Pan themed with a great pirate ship. Also for that age range a couple of hours in Covent Garden would be fun. There are always great free shows at either end of the hall and one of my favorite toy stores, Pollocks is there. It has many clever paper cut out, old fashioned puppet stage type toys. Plus Lush has a store there and you kids could pick out some cool bath bombs for later in the evening. Don't forget Icscreamists ice cream parlor. The Glastonberry is beyond yummy. There is also the Clink museum and Sir Francis Drakes ship, which is like a real life pirate ship, right near each other. Your son might like that.

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

When I google Clink museum, it looks like a prison museum. Is that correct? Is it on the scary side? Covent Garden sounds like a great idea! Thank you!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,633 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

Yes the Clink is a museum based in and about a prison. I wouldn't take 3 and 6 year olds to it. The Golden Hind (replica) is nearby and more likely to entertain. A Duck tour might be more enjoyable for the kids than the Eye (unless they're not good on water):

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

Krakow, Poland
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

I can second the Duck Tour! It's a great way to see London and a lot more fun than just driving around on a bus as the water aspect of the tour is brilliant and so clever - good fun all round for adults and kids alike!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

I don't think Harrods would be at all relaxing with two small children.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

Hello! Just read Verity's post and agree with every word. Harrods is just a posh shop. When we went to another country, my children loved a visit to a supermarket, looking at the different food products. If you are lucky enough to have hot weather they will probably enjoy the fountain court at Somerset House, where they can splash in the fountains, keeping cool and having fun at the same time

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

My niece and nephew were a bit older than your children when we took them to London (8 and 9), but they loved, loved, LOVED the Diana playground. And its huge. Lots of things for them to play on, make music. We ended up visiting it twice while we were there. There was also a playground they spotted from the London Eye, but it may not be for the little one - it was a climbing on poles kind of playground. It's just behind the London Eye. They also loved the ducks and birds and pelicans at St. James's Park.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help, kids 6 and 3 years old

Another vote for the fountains at Somerset House. My 5 yr old daughter loves afternoon tea and pretending to be a 'posh lady' - we've found the Dorchester and Fortnum & Mason to be particularly child -friendly.