We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London for 7 day with kids

E G
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
London for 7 day with kids

I have a 16yr old and 11yr old. I'm looking for some ideas on the best kid sights. We are going to take a few walking tours and take a day trip to Stonehenge but aside from that have nothing planned. WOuld like to go to the transit museum and a few others. I read in an old forum that Warwick castle is a fun day trip...worth the time?

also looking for reasonable kid friendly restaurants near the waterloo tube which is the area we are staying, any ideas? thanks

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London for 7 day with kids

Get them to research what they want to see, give them one day each to do exactly as they like, we used to do this and it works well.

The rule is that on one day of the week, that child gets to choose and no one else is allowed to moan, everyone (adults included) gets a day.

One year my son was so fed up with sight seeing that his day's choice was to stay in and watch tv, we left him to it, popping back now and then.

You may be surprised at the excellent choices even 11year olds can make.

Children hate being schlepped round places because others think it is good for them, this plan appeals to their inate sense of fairness.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 07:48
Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London for 7 day with kids

Whenever my 16 year old gets to decide what we do in London, it usually means I am free to wander, stop for a beer, but I always lose my credit card and 'I' spend a fortune, but only ever recall actually spending a tenner myself on lunch!

As you have guessed she chooses shopping! And I let the wife have that pleasure!

My daughter has never really been interest in museums, galleries, ToL, St Ps, where as my son loved them when he was younger.

They both enjoyed the walk across the dome though!

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London for 7 day with kids

Plenty of dining options around the Southbank area: there are several family friendly chain restaurants like Giraffe and Wagamama along the Thames banks, many small local restaurants along The Cut, and there is the delicious RealFoodMarket with stalls of organic street food in all flavours. It's located to the south of the Royal Festival Hall, and feels like a smaller version of Borough Market, only on weekends though.

Have fun!

PS: The kids (ánd adults) would most likely be thrilled by the RIB boat rides across the Thames, our boys still consider it one of their highlights. They leave from the pier next to the London Eye: Thames Rib Voyages, if I remember well. The company used to participate in the 2for1 deals, making it somewhat more affordable, still expensive though...

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,533 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London for 7 day with kids

Hi EG,

Boat trip from London to Greenwich. Perhaps get commuter boat which is cheaper but no commentary. In Greenwich is Cutty Sark, Greenwich museum and the Royal Observatory where they can stand with one foot either side of Greenwich Prime meridian from where all lines of Longtitude are measured.

You can get train back to London. (I know that Greenwich is in London but do not know where you are staying so seemed easiest explanation!)

Suggest you google Warwick Castle and note that it takes nearly 2 hours to get there from London to decide on it's worth

Cheers

Bob

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London for 7 day with kids

Warwick Castle is quite pricey to get in as well. You'd probably like it, but it's too expensive if you only have time for an hour or so inside. The town of Warwick is nice too.. probably dull if you are 11 though. You can hire rowing boats on the river.

Have they looked into the Harry Potter studio tour? It's excellent if they like that sort of thing. Even I liked it, and I'm an adult who isn't a particular HP fan. Also point them to HMS Belfast maybe. London zoo is good too. The Science/Natural history museums are worth a look - both free, and next door to each other.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London for 7 day with kids

Yes, don't load them up with too much sightseeing. I took my 16yr old to the Tower last month, there was a French lad about 12 - he was just so bored and fed up, he had been dragged around London for a few days and really hated it.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London for 7 day with kids

St Mary's church in Warwick, down in the crypt, has something I've never seen anywhere else, and I think a child/teen might find gruesomely interesting - remains of a medieval ducking stool

E G
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
160 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London for 7 day with kids

thank you for the feedback, very helpful

9. Re: London for 7 day with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 07:16