We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

Hi,

I'm wondering how to get from Euston Stn to Padding ton Station with luggage. I'm staying at Euston Ibis. Do I have to gfo to Euston Square tube? I'm wondering if Euston Square tube is connected at all to euston?..or do you hvae to cross the road. If you have to cross the road, is this possible or is it blocked (with a dividing fence etc!)

or is there a subway underground to link the two? Also how step free is Euston Square? I'm hoping to catch a train from Paddington Station out of London to Tauton(probably)? At Paddington is it easy to get from the tube to the train station? Thanks anyone

Ps also time to allow?

Jan

UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

it is fairly easy but I always prefer a taxi with luggage - would cost max 11 during daytime hours

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

It takes a little longer, but I'd take the 205 bus from stop H on the other side of Euston Road.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…euston-160912.pdf

…tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP16P1__000046ec.pdf

The bus takes 23 minutes to Paddington, longer than the tube, but when you factor in the stairs at Euston Square (2 flights down) and Paddington (one flight up) and the 6 minute walk from the H+C platforms at tbe far northwest corner of Paddington station, it can be a lot less stress.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

There's a minor road to cross to get into Euston Square station, but the pedestrian crossing is properly controlled. It's about a 200 yd walk. To the westbound platform from the north side of Euston Rd there are about 20 steps. And at Paddington there's an upward flight of about 15 steps

There's no realistic step-free tube alternative. Even getting to the taxi rank at Euston involves a longish flight of steps, though there's a carefully hidden lift you can take if you try (console yourself with the thought that Euston was so spectacularly mis-designed in the late 1960s it spawned a revolution in British civic planning, and scarcely anywhere has been built so thoroughly badly since. The Paddington mess is being rebuilt).

I'd say the least passenger unfriendly option with luggage is to exit Euston and head for bus stop H, though others might argue that you should just bite the hassle getting to the cab rank. Bus 205 every 10 mins: allow up to 30 for the journey You do need to cross a main road at Paddington, but hundreds of others are doing much the same thing at the same time so it's perfectly safe. Access to the ticket machines and platform is then by ramp.

At Euston, stop H is the other side of Euston Rd, about 100 yds from the station building. You cross a garden square (quite pretty if you weren't dragging luggage in a windy downpour. The pillocks who designed this station really managed to get absolutely everything wrong). Then cross at the pedestrian crossing. To get there you go through a bus station where the westbound 205 doesn't stop, but which is full of maps of local bus stops.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

Wow, thanks everyone. I have been to Euston before but never Euston Sq. , and never tried to get to Paddington from Euston either. We will be staying at the Ibis, Euston.

I was in Euston with my Mum in 2004(for 3 days) and she was in a wheelchair, and I actually found Euston Stn really friendly..the info desk and the buses to Everywhere..but I never took the tube..and never tried to get to Paddington with her either!

(I ended up at Paddington by mistake once, but by myself when I was staying around Kensington gardens area when I got on the wrong train back from Windsor caste..I never realised there was 2 trains to Windsor castle with 2 train stations...I did ask the conductor who asked the train driver who said my ticket would work this once..never knew about differert train companies either til then(thinking back at least they all knew I had the wrong ticket!)... LOL (ignorance is bliss!). In Australia there is one the govt railway...

But thanks, it looks like the bus for us (or perhaps a cab, but I had trouble once with those cabs you listen in??? and turn up?? (I heard somewhere?)) .

I had booked a black cab from Kings Cross to Kensington to change hotels with my Mym ..and someone else turned up and loaded her and her wheelchair in while I was going back for the 2nd load of luggage from the YHA in Kings cross..and then wanted to charge 50 pounds and extra for wheelchair etc..the argument resulted in my Mum starting to panic (she actuallyhad a heart attack around then, according to the speciailist, and has never recovered)..so I try to steer clear of cabs (although the black cab we caught later in the week was terrific and cost us 12 GBP from Kensington to London Victoria). I ended up paying about 35GBP (from Kings cross to Kensington gardensw Thistle) ,...but I wish I could of just bundled my Mum out of that cab!

Sorry for going off topic here... and thanks everyone

Edited: 06 March 2013, 08:09
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

Jan take a taxi mate, costs not much more than $aud20

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

Just a reminder if you don't know - you need to buy bus tickets from a machine (no change given) before boarding

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

I'm guessing that 2nd cab wasn't a black cab. Stick with black cabs and you'll be fine. Just pick one up from the rank outside the station or hail one on the street.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

"you need to buy bus tickets from a machine (no change given) before boarding"

They plan this so carefully to make it easy for tourists, or anyone else, who hass no loose change don't they?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

Yes, you guess correctly :)

and yes, I learnt that one..I got a black cab just fine from the street the other time.

That was a treat..an actual real London cab, guess everyone should do that once

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lONDON TRANSPORT - Euston station to Paddington Stn -with lu

LOL..

I LOVED the conductors back in 2004..pity about progress! The conductors also helped get the luggage on and off too, as well as the wheelchair..really friendly. Kinda part of the old London (like the black cabs)