We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Topic
London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

Good day everyone,

Please help. Does anyone know what trains does go to Gatwick Airport South from London Victoria?

I don't want to ride easybus due to bad review and I don't want Gatwick Express because it's expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

Southern offer very frequent service from London Victoria to Gatwick airport. Travel time is five or six minutes more than the GEX; single fare is just £14.40. You need not book in advance for that fare.

But if your start point is elsewhere in London, consider First Capital Connect trains from St Pancras to Gatwick via Farringdon, Blackfriars and London Bridge stations. Single fare £10, again no need to book in advance.

malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

Hi TravellerPlus,

Thanks for the info. May I ask, the Southern website, show £5 for one way from London Victoria to Gatwick. It is not available at the counter?

First Capital Connect is not a Gatwick Express train?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

You're welcome.

The £5 Advance fares for Southern trains must be booked before the day of travel. Advance tickets are good for a specific train and time booked: if you miss that train you must buy another ticket at the walk up price of £14.40.

First Capital Connect is a different train operating company than Southern (which runs the Gatwick Express services).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

adelyn is staying near Victoria.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k61597…

So it's the regular Southern service as TP mentions.

BUT if you're heading to the airport early afternoon, you may be able to get an Advance ticket for as little as £5. You could book that ticket online, or just go to the ticket office in the days before and ask about possible advance tickets.

Note that with such a ticket you must travel on the specified train, so you'd need to plan your trip to Gatwick and allow plenty of time to make the train (including picking up your bags from left luggage).

Edit : you both out typed me. ;)

Edited: 07 March 2013, 07:31
malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

Hi TravellerPlus,

That means, First Capital Connect is the Gatwick Express services. But how come this train services is only £10. Which is cheaper than Southern and even GEX.

Hi USBusinessTraveller,

Thanks for remembering me. Yes, I am staying at Victoria. I booked the Best Western Victoria Palace. So it's near London Victoria (VIC) Rail.

That means I may be able to purchase the advance ticket £5. Hopefully I could, as this can save up £9.40.

I am not sure the hotel does provide free wifi. If it does, I buy the train ticket online, how to redeem the ticket? There's no printer I could use. Couldn't print the confirmation ticket and show to the counter.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

First Capital Connect is not the Gatwick Express and, as has been said, does not run from Victoria Station.

malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

Hi railtraveller65,

Sorry my mistake. Thanks for clarify.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

<<If it does, I buy the train ticket online, how to redeem the ticket? There's no printer I could use. Couldn't print the confirmation ticket and show to the counter.>>

I've generally found that hotels will print for you - maybe for a small fee

But you don't show the confirmation at the counter anyway - unless there are problems. You collect the ticket from a ticket machine, using the card you used to pay for the ticket and the reference number in the confirmation

malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

Hi dzug1,

Thanks for the info. Ok, I will ask the counter whether can purchase the ticket in advance £5.

If not, then I shall purchase online using wifi in the hotel.

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport South

I am unable to find any fares lower than £10 when searching from Victoria to Gatwick. Is this the best I can expect to get traveling in the evening of September 11? I've seen references to advance fares as low as £5, but even when I search weekends and very late times like after 9:00 PM, I am unable to find any fare cheaper than £10.