We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenwich accommodation concern

Queensland
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Greenwich accommodation concern

6 months ago I booked 3 nights at the UStay Greenwich Tarves Way through Expedia. A couple of weeks ago I tried to call them to confirm the accommodation and tell them when we were arriving and noone answers the phone - I have spent ages on hold without success. Their website doesn't exist anymore either. Expedia just say that everything will be fine and that check in is until 10pm - they haven't been able to contact them either. If I go searching for availability at the UStay on any accommodation website there is nothing for the next year. I am travelling with two children and a baby and we won't get to Greenwich until 7pm and I am really worried that there won't be any accommodation. Expedia said that I can always cancel and book something else but there are 6 of us and the accommodation is extremely scare and incredibly expensive this close to the date. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do. Is there any way I can verify that the accommodation exists?

Queensland
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

That was one of the first things we did Adam.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

Glad it all worked out for you. You deserve a large drink after all that work.

Queensland
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

ha ha Mez3000! Thankfully not sleeping one night to try and work all of this out meant that I tackled my 7month old's waking up to be fed during the night. I was therefore able to have a VERY FULL glass of wine last night!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

The link that Amos H posted, leads to a YouTube page, presumably put up by the scammers to showcase their rentals.

m.youtube.com/#/watch…

If you click on the user name, then 'comments' you'll see where someone has turned up asking why they are using pictures without permission.

http://m.youtube.com/user/Hott2ell

"I am not impressed that you have used old photos of my property AND my property name without asking."

What's interesting is that there seems to be a genuine company in New Zealand called Ustay, that deals mainly with student accommodation, so perhaps that's why the scammers picked that name as it shows up in google searches.

It's going to be a big mess for the booking agents to sort out, because many people, unlike you, will probably not bother to check before they travel and if the agents haven't sent out warnings, people will just turn up there and have nowhere to stay.

I think you did well to check and was probably the first person to notice something was wrong, which has tipped off the agents. So glad you did, it would have been a nightmare for you otherwise, but at least now you can relax and look forward to a nice holiday. Plus, you'll have a great story to tell your friends...the one where you uncover a scam!

Hope you have a great time! :)

Queensland
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

Okay that makes me think it is a scam then, especially as the videos were only uploaded a month ago. I have posted a comment on the youtubes as well. I may try and contact all of the other booking agencies that have the accommodation listed to let them know.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,629 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

For some reason one of the sponsored links on my Facebook home page is advertising Travel Republic and guess which property they are promoting?!

Queensland
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

So it is definitely looking like a scam and maybe I am the first one to discover it. Those videos of the apartments were only posted a month ago too. I really hope noone ends up stranded. I have since confirmed all of my accommodation for the second time (as we are travelling through Europe). They probably think I am slightly neurotic!

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I could contact to reveal this? I can imagine Expedia don't want it to go public. Is there a British newspaper that would be interested in the story. Maybe if it is uncovered then they can at least be stopped.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,629 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

Sadly these scams don't seem to interest the media. Foreigners arriving to find no room at the inn doesn't sell newspapers or attract a TV audience. We have a programme called Watchdog but they are keener on dodgy hotels on the Med or things that affect us Brits.

Keep posting on various forums so that internet search engines pick up key words so that others searching for information will also spot the fact that Ustay in Greenwich is a scam.

Queensland
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

Tripadvisor didn't accept my review of the UStay Tarves Way saying that it didn't exist. It was just a simple statement that they are no longer operating as well so it is a little annoying as I am trying to get the message out there. It is still on Expedia's site too.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: Greenwich accommodation concern

Don't waste your time trying to convince TripAdvisor that it is a scam. I have sent multiple emails to TripAdvisor (since January) about the scam K Serviced Apartments - and they just ignore me. And yes, they still have K Serviced Apartments listings on FlipKey and TripAdvisor.

If you really want to get this out over the internet, then start a new topic on this forum and title it, "UStay Tarves Way Scam Fraud". That way, the search engines will pick it up. Here is the one I did for K Serviced

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k60363…

Edited: 17 March 2013, 20:06