We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight at Heathrow airport

San Clemente...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight at Heathrow airport

We will be arriving at Heathrow from Rome at 20:25 at terminal 5 and will depart the next morning at 7:45 from terminal 3 to go to the United States. We are US citizens. What is the best option for us to spend the night either at the airport or a hotel close to the airport? Thinking about Yodel but is it fairly easy to get there and depart from there. Not sure if our luggage will be checked through or not. Also, will we go through customs on our arrival in London or do that when we arrive in the US? We will have our passports but we won't have a visa.

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

If you've booked a through ticket, FCO-LHR-LAX (I suspect the latter) then your bags should be checked through, even with an 11 hour layover.

The Yotel at T4 is handy for neither T5 nor T3. On arrival at T5 you will go through immigration - you will need the address of the hotel you select for the landing cards - and customs, but that will be a quick 30 walk through the blue Arrivals from EU channel. Since you hold US passports you will not need visas for the UK.

Depending on your budget, you may book the Sofitel adjacent to T5 and the next morning take the free Heathrow Express shuttle to Heathrow Central, a five minute walk to T3. The HEX shuttle runs four times an hour, travel time just five minutes. The Sofitel is a two minute walk from T5; there is a lift down from the Arrivals level to the HEX platforms for the train to Heathrow Central.

If the Sofitel won't do, please let us know your budget in pounds (use www.xe.com to calculate the exchange) for a hotel for the night. As well, will your stay be during the week or at the weekend?

San Clemente...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

Thanks for the quick response.

We are flying from Rome to London (overnight) then London to Chicago to Orange County. We have a layover in Chicago of about 2 hours.

We will stay on a Monday night in April. Not looking to spend a lot of money as we will just want to sleep for a few hours.

Is it really difficult to get to terminal 4? If so, maybe the Sofitel would be the best bet for us. We were also looking at the Holiday Inn at Heathrow.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

You're welcome.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…heathrowterminal5-14065.pdf The 482 and 490 will take you from T5 to T4. The alternative is to take the free HEX shuttle from T5 to Heathrow Central and change there to another free train to T4 - but by the time you've done that, the bus will have made the journey.

From T4 to T3 the next morning, it would be a matter of taking the (free) inter-terminal shuttle from T4 to Heathrow Central (for T1 and T3) then the short walk to T3 Departures.

The Holiday Inn at 118 Bath Road isn't a bad choice, but with an arrival at 2030 you may wish to take a taxi from T5 to the hotel rather than the free local bus service. Heathrow Hoppas travel to the Bath Road hotels as well, but single fare is £4.50 per person, so a taxi would cost about the same as fare for two. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow.pdf

There is a Premier Inn at 420 Bath Road, very near the Thistle Hotel (see spider map above). The 423 from T5 makes its way there; the next morning you could hop in a taxi to T3. PIs are solid, good quality mid-range hotels, certainly worth considering (and very possibly with a better rate than the Sofitel).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

Take a look at the following pages and links from London Toolkit. They explain in detail about the hotels and transfers. Apart from the Sofitel T5 and Hilton T4 (and the Yotel), the others are off airport.

You're best looking on the "Bath Road East" page, and for hotels (preferably) within the Heathrow free fare zone. Within that zone, London's red buses are free and there are many that stop close to the hotels. For those outside the free zone (including the Premier Inn Bath Road and Travelodge) the bus fare is £2.40 each way. But that's still much cheaper (and more frequent) than the hotel Hoppa bus which costs £4.50 per person each way.

londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_hotels.htm

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

PS - re your question re Customs. Yes you will need to clear UK immigration and customs as you're entering the UK. Ask BA whether you'll need to pick up your checked bags at Heathrow. As TP says they **should** be checked through, but double check to make sure.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 01:49
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

I think that it would be quicker for you to travel 12 - 15 minutes on the underground to Hounslow Central station and stay there. There are certainly more restaurants and pubs nearby of which the best is The Moon. Hotels at Hounslow Central include a Days Inn, Ibis and Travelodge and there are others as well.

San Clemente...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

Thank you for the great responses. I will do some checking of your suggestions tomorrow and try to figure out what works best for us.

Thanks again.

Istanbul, Turkey
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

My 12 year old daughter , my mother and me will travel on 25th of january to LA. We will be arriving at Heathrow from İstanbul at 18:50 at terminal 5 and will depart the next morning at 10:45 from terminal 5 to go to the United States. We don't have a visa, we are from Turkey. What is the best option for us to spend the night?We dont have visa so we cant leave airport and we have to stay for 15 hours at the airport . What is the best thing we can do?

Thank you.

Istanbul, Turkey
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

My 12 year old daughter , my mother and me will travel on 25th of january to LA. We will be arriving at Heathrow from İstanbul at 18:50 at terminal 5 and will depart the next morning at 10:45 from terminal 5 to go to the United States. We don't have a visa, we are from Turkey. What is the best option for us to spend the night?We dont have visa so we cant leave airport and we have to stay for 15 hours at the airport . What is the best thing we can do?

Thank you.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

According to the link posted below I think you may be able to transit with a visa but I would rather someone else check this to make sure I am not misinterpreting your situation -

…homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/…

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight at Heathrow airport

hello

We are planning to visit London for a night on our return journey from India. Arriving in the afternoon (around 1 om) in LHR and leaving LHR to US next day around 11:45 a.m.

What is best location to stay for one night?

Would like to go around city in the evening? Any particular way to go around city for few hours?