We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london accommodation advice

Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
london accommodation advice

We arrive at Heathrow Nov 5 about 6:30 pm for 4 nights. Would it be sensible to stay in an hotel at the airport that night, or all 4, for that matter, or go elsewhere? I have looked so many hotel descriptions that I'm getting seriously confused. I think it's called information overload :) My husband particularly wants to visit the War Museum where all the planes & tanks are displayed--is this in London, or easily accessible? Thanks in advance.

Furryfamily

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,362 Reviews
from US$130.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,130 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$117.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$348.00*
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london accommodation advice

I think you would be better to stay in London as the airport is outside London itself and there's not really an awful lot to do out there. The Imperial War Museum is in London, its a great day out. I was there last year and it really is a "must see".

london.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00b

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london accommodation advice

6.30 is early enough to get in to central London for the night, so I would suggest that you stay somewhere central.

The Imperial War Museum is on the south side of the river, the nerest tube is Lambeth North. You could stay at the County Hall Travelodge or elsewhere in Southwark to be convenient for that.

Depending on your husbands interests the Imperial War Museum has two other branches:

HMS Belfast (2nd world war cruiser) moored on the Thames opposite the Tower.

Duxford Air Museum - near Cambridge which would mean getting a train out there and then I think they run a bus link from Cambridge Station

See http://www.iwm.org.uk/

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london accommodation advice

Actually the IWM has 5 sites, 4 in or around London. The Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms are also part of it.

www.iwm.org.uk

Don't tell your hasband all this or you will spend 3 days in war museums.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,825 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london accommodation advice

There's an RAF museum at Hendon as well.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london accommodation advice

The County Hall location mentioned above is actually a Premier Travel Inn. Rooms start at £92 which is excellent value. The same building also houses a more expensive Marriott. The location is excellent being almost right next to The London Eye and on the river as well as being opposite The Houses of Parliament.

I would agree with staying all 4 nights in central London. Airport hotels are not great value and you will have the hassle of the airport-hotel-airport-tube run every day.

If you could give us an idea of your budget we may be able to suggest one or two more ideas.

premiertravelinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do…

Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: london accommodation advice

Thanks, everyone, for the quick replies; I'll certainly check out that hotel. I was going to suggest that Robert visit the IWM while drooled at the British Museum--saves terminal boredom on both parts. If I could ask for your opinions once more, in my hotel trolling sessions I came across a deal from the St. Gregory Hotel for total 4 night stay promo costing 347 GBP. This does seem cheap compared to others--would you suggest I grab it?

Furryfamily

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: london accommodation advice

Rooms at the St. Gregory will be low (for London) during weekends. The area isn't terribly scenic, but it's great for the street markets (Brick Lane & Petticoat Lane) if you'll be there on a Sunday. It's also close to Liverpool St. Station, so you could easily get around.

I suppose whether you should book depends upon your wants & needs. Okay, I just looked at your dates on a calendar & see you arrive on a Sunday evening so that nixes the weekend street markets. That makes the hotel more desirable so I think you've been offered a good price. What you have to decide, though, is whether or not you'd like to stay in a more central area.

8. Re: london accommodation advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 11:25