We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

My Niece and I will be in London late August. It has been 20 years since I lived in London and so I am somewhat out of date.. Can I please have recommendations of suitable stores (mostly clothing and moderately priced) that I should probably take her too. We have set aside a day for 'only shopping' in our itinerary so I need to be focused and know exactly where we are going. TopShop Oxford St is the only one I can remember. Any suggestions gratefully accepted as teenage, shopping, girl and London is going to be a dangerous mix!!

Savage London
Gift & Speciality Shops
Broadway Market
Flea & Street Markets
Oxfam Bookshop
Gift & Speciality Shops
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

Primark is a popular (and very inexpensive) spot for teen girls, but not their parents so much. Avoid it on the weekends if you can.

TK Maxx is a shop that where my own DD has been able to find many fantastic deals. Fat Face and River Island are a couple of others my DD liked.

If it is a weekend, and she likes "funkier" clothes, a trip to Camden market might be worthwhile.

Or try the Seven Dials area in Covent Garden.

Mentioned in this post
Primark
Primark
51 Reviews
London, UK
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

If she likes handcrafts, funky jewlery and tshirts she would like Spitalfields market on the weekends. Stall after stall of funky and original stuff for teens and adults alike.

London
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

If you are going to be in Oxford Street for Topshop anyway, you will have a whole choice of suitable stores the whole length of Oxford Street/Regent Street - H&M; River Island (at least two); Primark at either end of Oxford Street; Miss Selfridge; Zara; Benneton .. just start at one end and keep walking. The good thing for you is there are plenty of places along the way to sit and get a coffee:)

You could also look into the Westfield Shopping Centre - pretty much the same shops but you may enjoy that.

Mentioned in this post
Primark
Primark
51 Reviews
London, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

For the high street chain stores , another vote for Primark and H&M which are my 15 year old daughter's favourites, for cheap " young fashion". And then there is also Zara, Top Shop , Miss Selfridge, and Gap which cater to the younger crowd but are a bit more expensive . As others have said there are various smaller boutiques in some areas which may also appeal . I have found that my daughter prefers the cheaper chains as she gets more for her money, and does not really want clothes made to last forever as they go out of fashion too quickly

Mentioned in this post
Primark
Primark
51 Reviews
London, UK
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

I wouldn't miss Camden Market.

London
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

Dont forget New Look at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street.

Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
492 Reviews
London, UK
Leeds
Level Contributor
220 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

I took my 16yo daughter and three of her friends to London last week. We started at Oxford Street, they did Topshop through to Primark (including Primark, Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, Cos) and then we walked down to Carnaby St for some of the shops not available in every high street (Drop Dead, David and Goliath). Then a tube trip to Covent Garden where they browsed the market and the piazza. What with lunch and a pre journey home snack that was pretty much the day done. Next time we're going to do Camden Market but will wait until it's warmer, I have vivid memories of Camden Market in the cold and it wasn't fun.

Mentioned in this post
Primark
Primark
51 Reviews
London, UK
london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

That last itinerary sounds great. It's what I'd do, but from Carnaby Street you can walk through Soho to Covent Garden (via Old Compton St & Seven Dials). It's an interesting walk & takes only about 10-15 mins.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

You guys rock!! Thanks so much for your brilliant suggestions. Am going to map out our day based on your recommendations. Miss 17yr old will be thrilled!

10. Re: Shopping with a Teenage girl in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:16