We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
951 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

I'm thinking one of our days we'll go to the Tower as early as I can get my teenage son out of bed, take a look around St. Katherine dock, and then walk over (and attempt to climb) the Monument. Mind you, this is dependent on how our moods (and/or hormones) are at the monument, I mean, moment.

Has anyone done this before and has pearls of wisdom to impart, such as "No way" or "Wasn't too bad", etc.

Thanks for your help!!

The Monument to the Great Fire of London
Monuments & Statues, Observation Decks & Towers, Historic Sites
Albert Memorial
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Monuments & Statues
London
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

The walk from the Tower to the monument is about 8 mins and pretty straight forward. Add another 5 from St Katherines Dock.

Posts, current + 135

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

Tower and the Monument are very close - less than 1/2 mile.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

Make sure you cross the road straight away (either at The Tower itself or by The Hung Drawn & Quartered pub) otherwise it's a potentialy dangerous sprint across a divided dual carriageway.

www.walkit.com is very useful.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
951 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

WOW that was quick - thanks guys!!

Thanks Adam, we''ll look for the proper street as I'm not so good at the sprint any more. . .

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

Adams right about the dual carriage way, I was going to suggest walking along the river to the old Customs House cut through public footpath and over, but it is a very very fast road, so go Adam's route..

You will walk past The Rajasthan (IMO) best curry in London and next door is The Walrus and Carpenter pub, just as you turn into Monument Street, with Pudding Lane (don't miss it, very narrow cross roads) and Monument ahead of you. So that's your eats and drinks sorted for your after-climb.

Well worth the climb once up there, it does seem to take awhile cos of the spirals, (see my pic) but it's fairly cheap entrance and great views....go for it.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

Try this walk by Britfan (with additions from Mr C and others).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k25729…

I would also try and work in St Dunstans (a bombed out church that was turned into a park/memorial).

stevemillarimages.com/…20East.htm

I extended Britfans walk down to St Pauls to incorporate a couple of pubs of interest - went across the Millenium Bridge and walked the Southbank to Tower Bridge.

I didn't make it up into the Monument though - hope to my next trip!

London
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

lara - I was in the Walrus and Carpenter a few weeks ago. Not as good as it was in the late 70's, I think they still have the same carpet!

Posts, current + 135

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

LOL ....only really drank outside the Warlus when on sunny day's and used the benches so to be honest didn't really notice the carpet. Used to go into The Florentine down Lovats Lane loads, but that has changed over.

London
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

I love that part of the city, also used to drink in the Tigers Head opposite Sugar Quay in Lower Thames Street.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How "far" is the walk from the Tower to the Monument?

Tigers Head....was that the one under The Bowring Building ??.....so many that have now gone....gosh I remember City Ale and Wine well on a Friday night, he he, I know but it was the thing then ;)...Fenchurch Colony, The Emperor, Angel, Minories, Ship and Compass, Dirty D#ck's and all the usual on the path through to through to Liverpool street.....