We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel pass and London Pass

Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel pass and London Pass

We are interested in the London Pass as we would like to visit of a lot of the places included. We are heading to London for 10 days, but it's broken up into 6 days, then head to Paris for a few days before returning to London for a further 4 days. The problem with the London Pass is that it has to be consecutive days. As we are flying from Australia, we are likely to be jetlagged initially, so may not be able to start using the pass until our 2nd or 3rd day, which becomes a bit of a wast. I have some questions re the pass.

1. Is there always a shorter queue if you use the London Pass?

2. If I stay in London, EC4Y 8EN, which travel zone is that? Which travel zones would I need? We plan to go to the main tourist attractions and one of the days to Windsor Castle and Legoland.

3. Is there anywhere to get discounted tickets for either the London Pass or general admission to main attractions? We are a family with 2 young kids. I was surprised that the kids admission is more than half of adult prices.

4. Totally unrelated, is London Bridge the same as Tower Bridge?

Thanks.

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers
Millennium Bridge
Scenic Walking Areas, Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

Steep? The vast majority of the major museums and art galleries in London are free, and many of these have special activities for children.The British Museum, the Science Museum and Natural History Museum are especially good for this. You could have an interesting and entertaining week in London and only visit a couple of the pay-to-enter attractions.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

cheekyson,

There are two things you could for your kids.

1) Buy returns from a close (ish) in station to cover the (total) time you're in London.

2) Don't use 2 for 1 for the children. In this case you'll need to buy your adult tickets and the kids' ticket as two completely separate transactions. Get your tickets and the receipt in hand before buying two child tickets (and keeping the kids out of the ticket clerk's view may help).

And check the child entry prices for the attractions you plan to visit. Most child entry tickets are just over half the adult price, meaning (2) holds. But some - notably Madame Tussauds and London Zoo - has child tickets at 70-80% of the adult price, so doing 2 for 1 there for everyone is well worth it.

Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

[quote]

2) Don't use 2 for 1 for the children. In this case you'll need to buy your adult tickets and the kids' ticket as two completely separate transactions. Get your tickets and the receipt in hand before buying two child tickets (and keeping the kids out of the ticket clerk's view may help). [/quote]

USBusinessTraveller, can I buy 2 adult tickets and get 2 adult tickets (for the kids) free on the London Eye for example? I noticed that the 2 for 1 offers don't apply for children.

USA
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

Laura, the attractions at which you can skip the queue with the London Pass have been the same for years, I think. Note also that Madame Tussauds is not a London Pass attraction.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

>> USBusinessTraveller, can I buy 2 adult tickets and get 2 adult tickets (for the kids) free on the London Eye for example? I noticed that the 2 for 1 offers don't apply for children. <<

The rule is that the purchased ticket must be a full price adult ticket, and that entitles another member of your group (adult or child) to a free entry.

So, with two adults and two children (party of four) all doing 2 for 1 you'd get in for the price of two adults.

If you just did 2 for 1 for the adults (my scenario 2) you'd get in for the price of one adult and two children.

Here's an example - say the adult ticket costs £20 and the child ticket £10.50. Everyone doing 2 for 1 means you get in for £40. But, for that you'd have to buy rail tickets of some sort for the children that they don't need. Just the adults doing 2 for 1 means you get in for £41, quite likely less than £40 plus child rail tickets.

However, if the adult ticket costs £20 and the child ticket were £17.50, you'd be looking at £40 plus child rail ticket vs. £55. So in that case worth getting 2 for 1 for everyone at that attraction. There are a couple of attractions like that (Madame Tussauds was £28 adults and £24 children a year or two ago).

That's why you need to look at the child entry prices and see if it's worth it.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 03:33
Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

Thanks for the clarification :)

Can I buy a single train ticket or does it need to be a return ticket to use the 2 for 1?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

One must have a rail ticket for travel to London (or a National Rail-issued paper Travelcard) valid for the day(s) one wishes to use the two for one offers.

For your children, consider buying a ticket from, say, East Croydon to London Bridge for day one of your six day stay, and another ticket from London Bridge to East Croydon for a date seven days later. WIth those tickets you may use the offers for the children every day of the six days you will be in London - but you must retain both inbound and outbound tickets.

Fare is just £2.85 each way for each child, so an initial outlay of £11.40 will mean you may use the two for one offers each of the six days of your visit. The two adults will have purchased seven day NR Travelcards to use with the offers.

EC4Y 8EN sounds like you're thinking of booking the Premier Inn Blackfriars. If so, keep in mind that Blackfriars has a National Rail ticket office as does City Thameslink, with a ticket office just steps east of Ludgate Circus (a bit nearer the hotel than Blackfriars station).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

>> Can I buy a single train ticket or does it need to be a return ticket to use the 2 for 1?<<

A single to London gets 2 for 1 for that day only. A return gets 2 for 1 for the entire stay in London. You carry both the inbound and return parts of the ticket with you to get 2 for 1. As TP mentions, two singles (one in, one back) counts as a return, and for East Croydon they're the same price anyway.

The benefit of doing this means it becomes simple; no separate transactions or hiding the children. And you'd still be better off than using London Pass.

Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

That's valuable information, thanks :)

Yes, we will be staying at Premier Inn Blackfriars. I just have to work out which 7 day Travelcard covers the main attractions from Blackfriars.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Travel pass and London Pass

You will almost certainly be fine with a zone 1-2 travelcard as most main attractions in London are located within those zones.