We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube on Sat evenings?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
848 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Tube on Sat evenings?

I've got a flight booked for a Saturday next month at 1815 from LHR T1, and plan on taking the tube from say Holborn. The TFL travel planner puts the journey time at about an hour and I need to allow some time to get from the tube station to the check in counter, but are there any other gotchas for that time of day on a Saturday? I assume there's no real rush hour per se on Saturdays, and I'm not going to get caught up in any football crowds or whatnot?

Since I have lounge access in LHR, there's no harm in arriving early, so I'm planning on catching a train around 1530 and assume I'll get in earlier than necessary.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

There are often engineering works on the tube at weekends, so check the weekend you're traveling on the TFL website to make sure the Piccadilly line is running as normal. If you put your exact dates into the Journey Planner, it will have checked for you. Otherwise the tube should be running as usual at that hour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

You are correct that there's no real "rush hour" on a Saturday. Evenings can be busy on the Piccadilly line, but you will be travelling before any evening rush starts so I wouldn't expect any major problems. You don't say what date you're travelling, but it's worth double checking the planning engineering works on http://www.tfl.gov.uk as there have been some weekends recently when sections of the Piccadilly line have been closed for engineering, affecting journeys to Heathrow.

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

The Tube is generally just 'busy' on summer Saturdays because of shoppers and tourists, especially around Holborn/Covent Garden/Piccadilly area. You might also encounter football crowds at certain points on the network at 5pm or thereabouts. But you should be fine - get yourself on at the front or back ends of the train at Holborn and you should get a seat all the way to Heathrow.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
848 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

The trip is a few weeks away (6th of April to be precise), and I wasn't sure that the tfl site would know about engineering works that far out. I've just put in that date and it didn't give me any warnings. According to this (tfl.gov.uk/assets/…track-closures.pdf) Acton Town to Uxbridge is closed, but that's on the other spur so I should be set.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,076 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

You are right it doesn't look like the piccadilly line has any planned works apart from the section that won't trouble your journey to Heathrow.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

Where does the evening come into it? Surely if your flight is at 18.15 your journey should start at around 2-2.30 in the afternoon?

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

Arsenal are playing away that day too which is normally the club that messes the Piccaddilly line up when they're playing at home so you're all clear there too.

Chelsea are playing at home, but I've not known them have quite the same effect. Plus your proposed time is half way through the match anyway.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
848 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

Tks all

9. Re: Tube on Sat evenings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 04:18