We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in London

M'sia
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in London

Hi, wonder any of you tip the concierge at the hotel?

If yes, roughly how much.

Thx

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping in London

I tipped someone in a pub for the first time ever yesterday !

It was actually the manageress of my favourite Irish pub in Liverpool city centre. The pub was absolutely heaving and the kind lady, who recognised me from previous visits, served me and my friend before the 20+ people in front of of me ! ;-p

I never stay in hotels with a concierge, but if I did I wouldn't tip them. And I definately never tip taxi drivers. They've already just ripped me off, so they aren't getting any more money off me ! ;-)

Level Contributor
3,431 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping in London

It can offend. You are creating artificial price inflation and an expectation of a tip. In tough economic times locals could do without tourists ignoring local customs and tipping regardless, YOU ARE doing harm

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping in London

Tipping is not expected in UK, partly traditions, partly due to a min wage. Why should a factory/shop worker who earns min wag(around £6.20) tip a waitress for doing the job she is paid to do, she will also earn £6.20 at least. Who goes into Asda and says to check out staff "thanks for putting shopping through tills, spotting my eggs cracked, helping me pack and be friendly, ok I just spent £100 on shopping here's a tip of £10"

Now in the UK we often offer people to "keep the change" , i.e. taxi costs £8, driver is friendly,you have a tenner note to him and say "keep the change mate" use in hair dressers pub etc.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,174 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tipping in London

I'd rather somebody didn't tip me than ask 'do I tip you?' I mean, how embarrassing is that! Nobody should really reply with just a 'Yes' because after all they don't have to, at which point the person says 'OK' and puts their wallet away. So what was the point?!

If you wish to tip, do so because you want to, rather than you think it's the expected thing to do. I wouldn't have a clue about concierges. A couple of quid?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tipping in London

I agree, the asking approach would be mortifying. I have actually had a tip refused because I misjudged the situation, and I'm not sure which of us was more embarrassed. I have also had a cab driver telling me I had tipped too much when I told him to keep the change. There are no rules about it , but tipping isn't uncommon.

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tipping in London

ZZoee, in the US at least, it is expected to tip the hair washer.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
141 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tipping in London

I just run across this the other day on page 7 of the Welcome to London Visitor Guide which can be found at this site (tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/visitor-guide.pdf) the following statement:

Tipping

If you’ve received good service,

whether in a restaurant, café or

hotel, it is quite normal to leave a

tip of 10% of the total bill.

Seems an official tfl website is promoting tipping.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tipping in London

Well I have seen many different responses to tipping questions but I have never come across anyone saying that they ask if they should tip if they are unsure before. How insulting is that!

I don't tip anyone but am known to say keep the change with a taxi driver if it just amounts to a few coins.

19. Re: Tipping in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 March 2013, 17:40
elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Tipping in London

Thanks for that, mcotocdg (hope I got the spelling right ... that's a tough one). I think I will go with 10%. If it offends anyone, they can throw the money in the rubbish bin.

GEJP, I truly do not understand why you say tipping does harm to anyone. (??)

Over here, 15-20% is standard in restaurants. Taxi's, not so much. Concierges, it depends on the level of service, as someone else mentioned earlier.