We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

I decided to go with Anderson Tours on their tour to the Cotswolds Sun Aug 6. I'm dying to visit the Cotswolds and this was the only tour I found that had a day solely in Cotswolds.

They said their pickup points were:

7.30am Outside London Bridge hospital on Tooley Street, opposite the London Dungeon

8.10am Outside our office, 81 Charlotte Street

8.15am Outside Mcdonalds on Baker Street

8.50am Outside the Kensington Grosvenor Hotel, Harrington Road

9.00am Across the road from Earls Court tube station, Warwick Road exit

I saw nice reviews for Kensington Grosvenor but wasn't sure if location was really nice.

For about same price I can get the Thistle Kensington Palace. I don't want to have to travel too far to meet up with this tour.

Any one familiar with these hotels and locations or if you have a better suggestion for hotel that are near any of these pickup points.

Thanks.

Maureen

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

Neither gets particularly good reviews on TA.

For a hotel that is fairly close to the Harrington Road pick up, try the Rembrandt. Rooms there are variable, but the good rooms are good, and the location is terrific.

Five Sumner Place is an upmarket B&B near Harrington Road. It has had, until recently, consistently good reviews - read the user reviews on TA's London Hotels page.

If you don't mind staying further west, then K&K George in Earls Court gets excellent reviews, and isn't too far from the Warwick Road exit of the Tube.

Have a look at the Charlotte Street Hotel as well.

If you could tell us your budget, there may be more that we can recommend.

new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

Hi Artgirl,

My budget is usually BUDGET and originally only wanted to spend $50US a night which I found really rare in London. When I read reviews of what kind of places that money would get me, then I went up to $100 a night and even then the reviews of hotels for that amount wasn't all favorable. Then I decided to spend a little more and wound up paying $513US for 3 nights at Thistle Victoria for July 6-9. I figured that hotel was convenient, on top of Victoria Station and so I splurged a little. So for 3 nights from Aug 5-8, I'm willing to go as high as $200US a night. I only live once, I don't know when I'll be back in London, so I might as well live it up.

Thanks for any more recommendations.

new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

Oh I forgot to mention It's just me travelling so I just need a single ensuite room either in B & B or Hotel.

Thanks.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

I had a nice stay at the Thistle Kensington Palace about 4 years ago but given the bad reviews of late on TA I wonder if the place has gone downhill a bit.

Cumberland, Maryland
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

Hello,

I stayed at the Grosvenor Kensington in February '04. While a bit worn I really enjoyed it- excellent location, steps (half a block) from the South Kensington tube station. Room was kept very clean, staff pleasant enough, breakfast good, internet cafe across the street, taxis in front. Needs some serious upgrading, but I found it to be a great place to stay for the week.

Hope this helps,

Don

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

The Grosvenor Kensington has some very good prices at the moment for a 4 star, commonly 79 GBP during the week.

As previously mentioned reviews are not consistent largely because of the wide variance in room rates paid and hence expectation.

The other place that comes to mind is for the Earls Court Warwick Road stop. The Ibis Earls Court is about 5 mins walk through Earls Court Exhibition Centre, (the hotel is next to West Brompton) and your pick up point is in front of Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

Its a no sensense solid budget chain hotel block, rooms around 73 GBP midweek, £10 less at weekends when the Grosvenor's rates almost double.

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

i have stayed at the kensington thistle a few times and find it more than ok. the area is perfect. make sure you take a look at the thistle hotel website and scroll down to auction .you can pick up a 2 night stay with breakfast for about 110 for the 2 nights for the room.You cannot beat this price

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

All in all the KK at Earls court is the best the others oa poor bunch Personally wouldnt touch any of them o but then I live in SW3

so according to another contributor know nothing Gerlis

9. Re: Thistle Kensington Palace or Grosvenor Kensington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 16:18