We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair London to Rome?

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ryanair London to Rome?

Hi my mother and I need flights to Rome from London on the 7th of april, so far Ryanair is by far the cheapeast. Are they any good though?

Any feedback would be great thanks.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

I suggest you also post this in the Air Travel forum.

You will also find a lot of past discussions about this company

Edited: 19 March 2013, 10:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

I flew once with Alitalia. Good experience though.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 23:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

Good luck! I refuse to fly Ryanair.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

Before paying for a booking with Ryanair, make a dummy booking for the full and complete cost of the flights. Be honest about your the size and weight of your checked bag(s), and keep in mind that Ryanair staff allow zero leeway to the company's rules and policies. If your bag is too heavy by 100gm then you will pay for that excess weight. If you cannot print boarding passes before arrival at the airport, you will pay for them to be printed at the airport. Add in as well the cost and time of travelling from central London to LGW, STN or LTN.

Then check fares with BA and AZ (of the two, I'd choose the former).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,353 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

www.skyscanner.com.

There are 5 london airports operating flights to both airports in Rome so perhaps you should also consider which airports are more convenient for you. Check skyscanner but remember that the likes of Ryanair charge extra for everything. you have also left it pretty late to book cheap fares.

Al Italia have one way from LHR to FCO on the 7th for £129 but Monarch from Luton ar the cheapest at £74. You could also take the Eurostar to Paris then the overnight train to Rome.

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

People like to put down Ryanair because they're seen to be a bit crafty with all of their additional costs. If they are the cheapest though, then go with it. I've flown with them many times and they're fine.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

Without Ryanair Boeing would have been bankrupt several years ago.

guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/19/ryanair-…

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

If you are capable of reading and following the rules, Ryanair is great.

Just dont try to be clever and think you can ignore the bits you dont like, I fly Ryanair, they can be very cheap, they are punctual and I've never had a problem with them.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

As others have said, RyanAir may be the "cheapest" on base fare, but look up their fees and restrictions, especially the need to check in online and print your own boarding pass.

And .... only book with them on their own website. Don't use a third party booker; RyanAir forbids that and the booker could screw you for extra charges.

And .... Ryanair fly to/from airports distant to the major cities, often with no quick or cheap public transport to the cities concerned. That includes London (look up Stansted). So factor in that extra transit time and cost.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 07:06
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair London to Rome?

One other point about Ryanair to Rome is that they fly into Ciampino, Rome's second airport. Facilities are minimal and far inferior to Fiumicino. Onward connections are often awkward and time-consuming. And if you have to get a taxi rather than use public transport to your final destination, the cost can eat up any saving on the fare.