We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

I thought we'd decided on Museum of London, but then some of my wife's co-workers in London recommended Museum of London Docklands instead. Now I'm torn, so I thought I'd pose the question to TA. Which would be best for two 8 year olds? I want them to learn about the history of the city, but in a fun, interesting way.

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

The original is best if you want an overview of the history of London. The Docklands museum is very much themed around the Port of London and our nautical past.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 15:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

Museum of London is about London in general, from year dot to present day, the docklands museum is focused on docklands, both vey good but I think for London as a whole, the museum of London would teach them more.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,029 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

I like both (and a special exhibition last year on London and slavery at Docklands was particularly fine) but I would stick with Museum of London near the Barbican, esp if this is a first trip. It is also nearer a lot of other key sites (St Paul's, the Tower, etc) so more effective use of time.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,442 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

And if your children are interested in Roman London, not far from the original Museum of London is the Guildhall Art Gallery - admission to the Gallery's permanent collection and the Roman Amphitheatre is free, although you pay for special exhibitions.

cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-th…

What I love are the remains of London's Roman Amphitheatre in the basement. The arc of black stone in Guildhall Yard is the diameter of the Amphitheatre.

cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-th…

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

And near the Museum of London is Postmans Park, which has very big fish in its very small pond which your children might like.

By the way, One New Change next to the cathedral has great views from its rooftop terrace and a good M&S food store in the basement.

www.onenewchange.com/11the-roof-terrace.aspx

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

Here is a vote for Docklands.

A couple of months ago my wife and I visited both and being a retired teacher I noted school groups of young children at both. The groups at Docklands seemed more interested. Perhaps it was those particular groups at both or pre planning by the school etc.

Docklands focuses upon the Thames influence upon London in transporting goods, use in wartime, and public celebrations while the original has a broader range of interests.

Getting to/from Docklands by using the DLR is a change from the other tube lines and the museum is about a five minute walk on pedestrian areas from West India Quay.

As a side, at Docklands we were interested to learn about the "Pluto: project--during World War II the British planned to pipe oil under the English Channel to their troups on the European mainland..

7. Re: Museum of London vs. Museum of London Docklands....with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 05:16