We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get stuff for a picnic?

Utah
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Where to get stuff for a picnic?

I've read numerous threads that mention grabbing a picnic and eating it on the river boats, in the parks, outside Harrods, even on the way to Paris. My question is where is the best place to get stuff for picnics? Are there lots of grocery stores or smaller shops or bakeries or is it just stopping in a sandwich shop? I'm assuming it must be fairly common from the way it is talked about. Another thing I was wondering is what would a typical picnic in London consist of? Is it sandwiches and chips premade or are people talking about something else? With 6 of us anything that will help stretch the money is going to be good. Plus, my kids love picnics!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

Any supermarket will sell pre-packed salads, pasta or sandwiches and crisps (not chips they are fried potatoes in England). Most do a "meal deal" of sandwich or salad, drink and crisps, fruit or cake.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,617 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

In London, even a MaccyD can be a pic-a-nic, if you find a nice outside place to sit & eat....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Tesco, M&S Simply Food - most shops, even the smaller ones, have cold and (more frequently now) hot food pre-packed to take away. You'll find sandwiches, fresh fruit, salads, soup, pies, pasties, curries and more availble at a great many shops, along with drinks and snacks of all kinds. Most shops have a selection of breads, rolls and pastries as well.

'Are there lots of grocery shops or smaller shops or bakeries?' Yes, to all three.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

Hi Tasscrapper,

As Amos says supermarkets can sort it for you. Look out for Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda (owned by Walmart) Morrisons, or slightly more upmarket Waitrose or Marks and Spencer. The only problem is that your choice of sandwich filling is constrained by what is prepacked.

The "meal deals" are good value but check to see if the drink or choc bar you want is part of it as the shelf stackers sometimes put items that are not part of the deal nearby which can be confusing,

Sandwich shops will, within reason, make any sandwich you want but tend to be dearer.

Enjoy your time

Bob

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

M&S do a full range of pic nic items including the 'traditional' items such as sausage rolls, scotch eggs, sandwiches and salads. Other supermarkets like tesco, waitrose, sainsburys etc do the same but I think M&S pic nic food is the best.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

TravellerPlus,Biztraveller and I (travelbob31) all seem to have given the same advice at the same time!!

Something about our names???

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

Depending on where in London you are, (Notting Hill, Kensington, Islington and Belgravia will do for this suggestion), and how nice you want to make this picnic, Ottolenghi shops are hard to beat for take out.

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

Tasscrapper

Eating on the go tips:

Snacks from a pot already come with a fold-in-half plastic fork or spoon.

For picnics in the park /eating out / snacks on a train, have a small 100ml bottle of anti-bacterial hand gel, no water or towels needed.

Boots and Superdrug also do meal deals, ie Sandwich+Snack+Drink

Utah
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

You guys are awesome! It sounds like it won't be a problem finding some place when we are ready to get stuff for lunch. I can't wait to get to test new foods.

Adam-Chance that is a great suggestion about the anti bacterial gel.

So, I recognized most of the names mentioned but I have never heard of MaccyD before. Unless maybe that is McDonalds? If so I would shorten it to Mickey D's. :)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,617 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to get stuff for a picnic?

Yes the delights? Of the Golden Arches are scarily everywhere....