We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

Hi

Could someone please advise approximately how long to allocate to go through the Pompeii Exhibition which is currently on at The British Museum? Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
london
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

Have just got back from a preview.It took 90 minutes but could have stayed longer.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

I usually find I spend about 2.5-3 hours in such exhibitions. But then I usually hire the audio guide, which tends to increase the time one spends in there, and also I like to examine each and every object and read the information cards. I go often to them the BM because I'm a member.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

I think If you are not a member you will need to book a time in advance as well as pay to get in to the exhibit, and queue to get in, although not to the rest of the museum. The special exhibits like this one often book up quickly.

If it is important to you to see the exhibit, you can join the museum on the day and enter on your temporary membership card. without booking, queueing or paying the entry charge to the exhibit

The money paid for the membership goes to support the museum, so even if you won't use the membership more than once or twice in the year, you might consider it as a donation to an amazing place.

(The membership page also tells you when it will be full of school trips)

Edited: 27 March 2013, 22:27
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

It is also now included in the 2-4-1 offers...

daysoutguide.co.uk/life--death-in-pompeii-at…

Boston...
Level Contributor
959 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

Just jealous that this wasn't on when I was in London. I would love to have seen that!

Edgware
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

I went on Friday. I used the audio guide and looked at everything closely. It took me exactly three hours. The audio guide is good but not essential.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,494 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

It is incredibly busy, you are constantly edging round other people. I'm a member so popped in for as long as I could endure the crush before getting claustrophobic. An hour was long enough for me. I usually do get an audio guide for exhibitions but didn't on this occasion.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

We had the audio guide and spent just over two hours in the exhibition

Edgware
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

Hope you guys are all OK back in Boston after such a traumatic week.

Luton
Level Contributor
37 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii Ehhibition British Museum

As stated, approximately 2 hours, longer perhaps with the audio guide, but it is arranged in such a way that there are lots of artefacts etc. to see. We have visited Pompeii and Herculaneum more than once and there were many things we could not remember seeing, though of course you can't see everything on such sites. Think some of the exhibits may have come from the Naples Museum.

Could have stayed longer but it was quite warm in the Reading Room despite some sort of air con and shuffling slowly to see things is somehow more tiring than a steady walk. It could inspire many people to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum.