We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary review and suggestions please

Itinerary review and suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 16:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

Is there a special reason for the Courtauld Gallery on Wednesday? It's a great place to visit if you have a particular interest, but it is one of the few galleries to charge and it is rather out of the way considering your other plans for the day. It would actually fit better into your plans for Friday.

For your tea, take a look at the Portrait Restaurant on top of the National Portrait Gallery. The NPG is an interesting place to visit and the restaurant has great views over Trafalgar Square.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

Seems like a well paced and planned trip to me. My wife and I really enjoyed the Borough Market. Loads of food vendors with local products as well as far reaching items. Open for lunch everyday 10a-3p, will full markets on Thurs/Fri/Sat. It's right across the river from St. Paul's.

The kids might especially like a walk with London Walks. Great guides who will dish out heaps of info along the way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

Also, on Saturday you could walk across Westminster Bridge to the South Bank Centre (near the Eye). The Real Food Market is at the back of the Centre and is a great place to find take away foods so that everyone can try a different style of food if they wish. Always lots going on down there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

There are free tours offered at both the V&A and the British Museum, which may be of interest to you - obviously they can't show you everything, but can show you the highlights of particular areas:

britishmuseum.org/visiting/planning_your_vis…

www.vam.ac.uk/whatson/type/free-talks-tours/

You could also look at http://www.walks.com - if you and your kids like learning about the history of a place, there's almost certainly a walk that will interest you.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

I agree with brittraveller - by all means go to the Courtauld but it would fit in more easily elsewhere. For the BM I would suggest one (or more) of the free Eyeopener tours (or Spotlight tours on Fridays) and then spend some time in a room or two that interests.

britishmuseum.org/visiting/planning_your_vis…

The BM does afternoon tea at the Court restaurant (reservations required) so that is one option.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

Hello! Few thoughts for you - just to confuse you after such a carefully thought out itinerary! :

First day - St Paul's is a fair way from Westminster, I'ld suggest walking in the Westminster area, although I can see you've already got several other visits that will keep you in that area. Perhaps Covent Garden? You don't have that specifically on your list but it has lots of street entertainers and I'm confident you'll all love it

Day 2 - I think you're being a bit ambitious The TOL takes several hours to do properly especially if there are queues for tickets - try to arrive early. The Beefeater led tours are excellent - to get a flavour look on YouTube for clips of these tours.

For your Thames trip how about getting the Clipper - public boat service, not a tour - to Greenwich where there is the Royal Palace, Maritjme Museum (with the coat Nelson was killed in you can se the bullet hole) and Royal Observatiry with the Greenwich meridian line.

Finally if you feel the need for fresh air and exercise, go to Hyde Park and borrow a bike.

Whatever you see you'll have a great holiday

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

Congratulations on a very well planned itinerary.

The only thing that I would add is that on Saturday July 27th the 2012 Olympics Park will be reopened after closing for a year. It will have special events throughout that week although there are no details yet.

www.noordinarypark.co.uk

PS The list of the FAQs by theartgirl at the top of the list has some excellent info about places to have teas.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 15:53
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

Day 2--you can spend 3-4 or even 5 hours in the Tower of London, and then you will want lunch. If you don't then go straightaway to St. Paul's you will miss it, as it has an early closing time of 4:00. Even that will cheat your visit, as St. Paul's--Dome, crypt, and main floor--takes 2 hours or more to see, and arriving at 4:00 would give you only an hour.

I would try to get there at 2:30.

You might check the websites for the various museums, as many have late hours.

And London Walks is highly recommended. Here is the link:

http://www.walks.com/

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

We are going to try to adjust to the time difference during the week before we come so as not to waste our first day

========

I doubt that will work,and if it doesn't you'll probably just end up more wiped out than otherwise plus if you did manage to acclimatise even partially, when on the plane what with all the disruption you'll be struggling to sleep (when you should be) and so that will mess it all up anyway.

How are you planning to do this?

Do report back if you do try it.

If you dont, and if you can check in early, it can help to get an hour or twos sleep really early on, lets say by 1 or 2pm, which gives you enough stamina to stay up to a reasonable time on your first evening.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary review and suggestions please

I like the Courtauld Gallery and think it's one of the more underrated. There will bea Gaugin special exhibition when you are visiting, which will be included in the normal ticket price and will almost certainly be worth seeing. Although there is a charge for adult admission, your children can go free. Note that it is half price to enter on Mondays (though there can be timed tickets for the exhibitions because of the crowds), so you may want to consider shuffling your itinerary to go at the cheaper time.

The ground floor restaurant at the National Gallery serves a decent tea that is not particularly expensive. You can get a standard tea with sanwiches + cakes or go a la carte (e.g. only a scone + tea). The room is nice (high ceilings etc.) but not as special as tea in a grand hotel would be.