We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Shopping in LHR

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Shopping in LHR

Help please! I will landing in Terminal 3 and I have four hour stopover with my BA flight to Italy leaving from Terminal 5. I am looking to buy a Mulberry handbag and I know that there are shops in both terminals. Will I be able to shop in terminal 3 after I go through immigration? How much time do you need to get between terminals? Is the shopping better in one terminal over another?

Are there any other "bargains" in Heathrow?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

AFAIK, there are no "bargains" at Heathrow. The shops and restaurants have a captive market and are money-spinners.

There are, however, shops in Italy.....

Your other questions will be answered at Heathrow's website. You need to work out how you are moving to Terminal 5 (you can stay airside), and then know how long it takes. I'd allow a couple of hours.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

No you wont be able to shop in T3. You'll have to shop in T5 which has got more shops than most shopping malls. I very much doubt there are any handbag bargains there compared to Italy though.

Follow the signs to "flight connections" and that will take you to T5.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

"Will I be able to shop in terminal 3 after I go through immigration?"

No. Actually it's theoretically possible to exit the secure area at T3, buy a few cigarettes or booze items from a tiny "arrivals duty free shop", then transfer the long and arduous way to T5 (which is several miles away) then queue up for security at T5. But that's a really, really rotten idea.

Otherwise you may use duty free facilities ONLY in the terminal you're taking your flight from, and ONLY after going through security.

Peterscot is simply wrong about how airport retailing works. It depends what you're comparing with: but the promise merchants make is to charge no more than their UK High St prices, minus 20% VAT. This is aggressively policed.For some people (like Scandinavians), this makes UK airports very cheap: for Americans it rarely means good value booze, but other products may often offer remarkable bargains.

Neither the naive cynicism of "it's all a rip off" nor the equally naive polyanna-ism of "it's a great place to shop" is reliable. But if you know how much a product costs elsewhere, you're very likely to find some bargains if you look hard enough.

There's no reason on earth, though, why a Mulberry handbag should be assumed to be cheaper in Britain than in the US

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

I bought a Mulberry bag in LHR a couple of years ago. Mulberry bags, duty free, are about 30% off compared to buying in the US when you include our 8.75% tax rate! I just called the airport store for a price. Thanks for the info.

Edited: 21 March 2013, 17:57
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

If you are flying to Italy it won't be 'duty free' - you need to show a boarding pass to a non-EU destination for true duty free,

It may or may not be a good price

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

Will I need to pay fees/taxes or will the cost be what is quoted to me in the terminal shop? These prices seem to about 17% lower thanin the city.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

Did you ask for the 'duty free' price, or did they ask where you were flying to?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

Right. NOTHING apart from alcohol and tobacco for passengers leaving the EU is DUTY-free. Prices quoted in airport shops are generally VAT-free and it matters not where you are flying to.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

I just called the store again. The price that they quoted me is the same price whether I fly to USA or to Italy.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty Free Shopping in LHR

@flanneruk - in what way am I wrong? captive market? money-spinners?

Saying booze is cheaper there than in Scandinavia, doesn't make it a bargain, unless you are from Scandinavia.

OP - if you bought a Mulberry bag a couple of years ago, why do you need another one? They don't sound very long-lasting.... :-) I still think you are paying 50% more just for the name, so better to find an artisan in Italy and help local industry.