We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day Travelcard - Photocard in advance?

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
7 day Travelcard - Photocard in advance?

Hello TA friends,

Could you please help us on these 2 practical issues? For our family holiday next Summer, as usual we'll be buying the 7day National Rail Travelcards, valid for 2for1 offers. We haven't purchased any since the new Photocard system, so I'm wondering:

1)  since we'll briefly be in London mid-May (using our Oyster cards as usual), if at that time we can already have all 3 Photocards made, for use at the end of June? Or is there a new Photocard made with every 7 day Travelcard purchase? I figure having the Photocards ready in advance might save us some time. (I will be in a rush to get to my morning classes upon arrival in June!)

2)  Also, can the actual 7day Travelcards still be purchased from the NR ticket machines, or are they sold only at the manned ticket counters now? I'm asking because I intend to purchase them early Saturday morning at Greenwich National Rail station, and if I remember correctly from our last trip, the ticket offices there don't open until 7 or 7:30am.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 7 day Travelcard - Photocard in advance?

Sounds perfect, dzug, thank you so much for looking this up :-)

(Feeling very lazy now, because I could have just googled this myself…)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 7 day Travelcard - Photocard in advance?

Thank you guys for your answers! Meanwhile I also found the answers to my questions on National Rail website.

1. The first time one buys a 7-day travel card from rail stations, he/she needs to buy it from a ticket office and get the photocard done at the same time.

2. For future purchases of 7-day travel cards issued at rail stations, you can buy the travel card from a ticket machine as you already have a photocard.

Here's the exact information on National Rail website:

"You can buy a season ticket at any staffed ticket office. You will need a recent passport-type photograph for the accompanying photo card. If you already have a photocard, you may be able to buy seven day season tickets at self-service ticket machines."

nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/…

Hope this is also helpful for other looking for this kind of information!

13. Re: 7 day Travelcard - Photocard in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 07:20