We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
42 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

Hello London experts! I am preparing for our first trip to London. I have come across the Prince Charles Cinema. While we are there, the cinema is showing The Sound of Music - & they list it as a sing-a-long! Have any of you had this experience? Is it as unique as it sounds? Does the audience really sing?

This sounds right up our alley (17-yr-old daughter & me), but the cost is high for us (tight budget & it's 15 pounds per ticket). If it was as fun as it sounds & the audience actually is into it & participates, it would be worth the expense!

Secondarily, is this in an area where we would feel safe enough being out at night? & would you recommend puchasing tickets beforehand, or could we buy them when we are in London - either the day of or several days earlier in the week?

Thank you so much for always knowing the answers to so many questions! My trip is already going to be so much better for the information I have gained from TALF!

Bethany

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

singalong sound of music is great fun! Usually the audience dresses up as something from the film and then they go and sing along with the film, the words are on the bottom of the screen. You also get a goodie bag with some props to use in different bits, can't remember much of what they were now, but certainly a party popper to let off as they have their first kiss and a bit of curtain material to wave when she is wondering what she is going to make play clothes for the children from. If you've never been to a sing along I would highly recommend it!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

The Prince Charles is off Leicester Square, in tHe heart of tourist london. It is completely genuine. shows old films really cheap. It also does things like all night zombie films. Singalongs sound fun. Cinemas sometimes do the Rocky Horror Picture Show that way. Probably Mamma Mia, things like that. Go for it.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

People certainly do sing along , and dress up as characters from the film.

I think you would have a very entertaining evening. Enjoy.

Colorado Springs...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

Bethany, did you already go? My wife and I did the Sound of Music sing a long last night. We had a lot of fun the first half, but a few folks spent the entire intermission drinking and the second portion of the movie devolved into drunken yelling instead of singing. Your mileage may vary, but you may want to get a seat near the end of the row so you can bail if it gets too rowdy.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
42 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

Hi Josh. I appreciate that post. We did not go last nt but are returning to London soon & might try yet. We went to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London Thursday night & with such a long day & so many miles on our feet, we just decided not to be out way late another night in a row. I hadn't thought about folks drinking in the intermission though, & that's a good thing to know since I would have my daughter with me. Thanks so much for the info!

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

Sing-a-long-Sound of Music is somewhat of an institution and getting in character and singing-a-long is part of the experience (I prefer the Rocky Horror Picture Show myself). Book tickets beforehand and really do not worry about safety over and above what you might worry about at home. Personally, Unless you are wedded to cinema, I'd look at what the same money or a bit more would buy in a theatre show.

7. Re: Prince Charles Cinema - Sound of Music?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 05:16