We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on best way to see London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
Level Contributor
438 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on best way to see London

Hi! I'm traveling to London with my wife on April 19 and we'll be staying for four days. We're staying near Buckingham Palace area. I'd like to know the best way to see the city in a short time. I was there in January by myself for two days and got on one of those double decker bus tours. I found myself spending a lot of time sitting in traffic listening to music. I thought about hiring a private guide who could personalise a tour for us, but they seem quite expensive like 200£ for a couple of hours??? Could anyone suggest other ways to see the sites with my wife? We'd like to see Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, the London Tower Bridge, 10 Downing Street, lovely neighborhoods, shopping, etc. Thank you for your help.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on best way to see London

Hi

Have you checked out www.walks.com? Much cheaper then a private guide, and they have several to choose from daily. They have a schedule on their website so you can see wether you'd like any of their walks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on best way to see London

You won't see all of London but my suggestion is to walk. Get a good map and decide what you want to see and which way to go. I love to walk in London. Part of the fun is getting lost and seeing different areas..Everything you mentioned is doable. Leave time for shopping and eating and remember, you don't have to do it ALL. There is always the next trip!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on best way to see London

I utilize, if there is one, a HOHO tour bus during the first day at any destination. It gives you a wonderful overview of the city highlights. I then take the metro to the sights that interest me. Happy travels!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on best way to see London

A black cab could get you around the major sights in about an hour for about £40, a more in-depth tour would take up to 2 hrs, licensed to take 5-6 people and the drivers are very knowledgeable.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on best way to see London

Just buy a guidebook and a small streetmap and go see what you want to see. Take the Tube or a bus or a taxi or walk (have a look at walkit.com for routes and distances) - that way you can set your own pace and follow your nose. You don't need someone to show you round if you speak the language and can read a book. If you want recommendations as to the latest shows or new restaurants, buy a copy of Time Out or look at its website before you come. Enjoy your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on best way to see London

Day 1 - possibly the hop on-hop off service to get your bearings

Day 2 to 4 use the underground and bus services which will be much cheaper than the tourist buses. This guide inlcudes a chopped down version of the bus network with the main sites included.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/visitor-guide.pdf

If you are near Buckingham Palace then a lot of this area is best done on foot (Whitehall, St James Park, The Mall, Pall Mall etc). The same applies to many other areas: Mayfair/Piccadilly (Green Park LU Station), Covent Garden (Covent Garden LU station) , the City (Bank LU Station). - Take the underground or bus to a central point and then start walking - aided by a decent map.

Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
Level Contributor
438 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on best way to see London

Thank you. I will check that Web site out. I'm a little concerned about the weather and would like a back-up plan in case it's not good. We're from Florida so anything below 15 degrees Celcius is cold to us... not to mention the rain and wind.:)

Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
Level Contributor
438 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on best way to see London

Also, the black taxi cabs for £40 per hour sound like a possibility, but the prices I got were much more expensive for tour guides. How do I find a good, reasonably priced tour guide who could show my wife and I around if the walking tour doesn't work out?.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on best way to see London

But it is part of the London experience!!!

10. Re: Advice on best way to see London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 05:16