We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cigarettes in London

Hoping someone can help me…..I’m traveling to Paris, London & Barcelona in a few days. I’m from the states (MA) and I’m a smoker and wondering if I’m better off waiting to buy cigarettes in Europe or should I buy a few here to have for my trip. Are they cheaper over in Europe vs the States??? Are they the same?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes in London

Cigarettes are around half the price in Spain compared to what you would pay in the UK or France. Spanish cigarette prices are very roughly similar to those in the US, depending on the exchange rate at the time. In other words you will pay much more in the UK and France than you would in the US.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 12:55
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes in London

Marlboro Lights in the UK are £7.75 in supermarkets, more in newsagents like WH Smith

In Europe, the prices are fixed by their governments so they are the same price wherever you buy them. I was in Paris recently and paid around €6 per packet, and in Spain they are around €4 per packet so if you can hold out until you get to Barcelona, you will save a packet

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarettes in London

Don't forget you do have the option of bringing up to 200 duty free cigarettes per person into the EU, so you could save a bit if you buy at the airport duty free shop before your departure.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 13:14
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarettes in London

Good point. I always buy a carton in Duty Free when leaving the US, around $40 per carton. That should keep you going until Barcelona anyhow!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes in London

Well, hang on - it depends on where in the states. In NYC, a pack of cigarettes is just shy of $13 (per pack) - in Los Angeles, they are around $6 per pack; it depends where in the states and how much in taxes have been added to the cost. I would guess people in NYC are probably paying the highest in the country. I don't know how anyone here can afford to smoke.

In Rome, I know they are about 4-5 euros or so per pack; or least that was the case last year when someone was buying them -

So no generalization about costs for these things in the states can be made; not with these sorts of differences in price.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes in London

When I was a smoker I found the U.S. cigarettes tasted so different than the Canadian ones I only smoked them out of my nicotine desperation. If the taste would matter I would try to find a type/brand that is as close to what you are used to as possible. My memory is that UK cigarettes smell much closer to Canadian ones than they do to American ones. I don't smoke now though so can't comment on the taste/strength.

ktown

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes in London

Momcat - I think the Duty Free price is the same price in all US airports. I know the street price varies from state to state and I remember being shocked at the price in NYC! I though we had the most expensive smokes!

8. Re: Cigarettes in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:17