We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
228 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

Hi, are we crazy in attempting the following in two days/one night?

Catching a train from Paddington to Slough Station and hiring a car (around 8am) to visit Windsor Castle (morning), Stone Hedge (brief stopover), and Bath (afternoon/evening).

The following morning head to Cotswolds and spend the day exploring.

Return to Slough early evening. Catch tain back to Paddington.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$126.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

It is a tad ambitious.

If you cut out the Cotswolds, I think you could pull it off, and without a car, which is a bother in Windsor and Bath.

Train in to Windsor, see the Castle. Train from Windsor to Bath. Explore Bath for part of the day, spend the night. Enjoy Bath the following morning, take a Scarper or Mad Max afternoon tour to Stonehenge, then return to Bath and take the train back to London.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

How easy is it to hire a car from Slough?

Most of us would assume Heathrow. If you've found someone who'll come to the station at Slough for you, fine - but most places with "Slough" addresses or postcodes are a hell of a journey from the station.

At Bath, you may well spend more time finding somewhere to park, then getting into the centre, than actually visiting the place, and Windsor's not a lot better. You're just not going to do much more than schlep round the suburbs of Slough, Windsor and Bath on day 1, though on your kind of schedule a ten minute stop at Stonehenge might be possible - and will probably be all you want anyway.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

Where is this Stone Hedge place? Did you perhaps mean Stonehenge ?

Assuming that's what you mean, your first problem is that Windsor Castle doesn't open until 945am. So, assuming that by visiting Windsor you meant, go into Windsor Castle, you've just lost 2 hours and there is no point in getting up so early.

If you just wanted to look round Windsor, there still seems little or no point renting a car from Slough, better to get the train to Windsor from London instead, look round then take the train one stop to Slough and pick up your car from there. That way you don't have the hassle of a car in Windsor.

This assumes you have found a car rental place in Slough. Offhand I can't recall seeing one near the station..

As said by Flanner, you may be confused by an address and thinking that means its near the station. But, maybe there is one nearby? In which case, if you did go into the castle, you won't be leaving Windsor until maybe 1 or 2pm so your plan to see Stonehenge and then spend the afternoon in Bath won't work.

Perhaps your plan would work in reverse? Rent car, drive to Cotswolds, end up in Bath in evening. In morning, few hours there then drive to Windsor by way of Stonehenge. Note that last admissions to the Castle are around 3pm, so upon reflection, again, you don't really have time.

Either take a coach tour, or add a day, or skip the Cotswolds.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

The other alternative which is usually recommended here is to simply visit Windsor as a separate day trip from London by train - it is very easy to do and can even be done in half a day. You can then shorten your 2 day trip to

London - Heathrow (pick up car) - Stonehenge - Bath (overnight) - Cotswolds - Heathrow (hand back car) - London

P-t-B

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

"Where is this Stone Hedge place?"

Here it is Joe:

drystonewall.biz/images/dry_stone_wall_3_lar…

:-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

Thanks for your replies and taking the p*** out of my typo. Yes I did mean Stonehenge, whoops, I will proof read better next time! ;)

We had sent a few emails back and forth and car rental agencies are happy to pick us up from the train station and transfer us to their offices is Slough. I was trying to avoid driving in London.

Coming from Paddington Station, do you recommend any other stations/locations to collect a car that may make more sense than slough?

Thanks for the heads up about the opening times at windsor, hadn't looked that up yet. If we were to do the trip in reverse, as Joe suggested, where would be a logical town to collect a car to visit the cotswolds?

In Bath, can you park on the street for free, paid or is it in parking lots? I didn't realise it would be tricky to get around.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

"In Bath, can you park on the street for free, paid or is it in parking lots? I didn't realise it would be tricky to get around."

This is a very small island with a lot of cars on the roads, this may help re parking in Bath but it has a reputation of not being very car friendly:

visitbath.co.uk/travel-and-maps/parking-in-b…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

"Coming from Paddington Station, do you recommend any other stations/locations to collect a car that may make more sense than slough?"

Oxford is worth considering if planning to visit the Cotswolds next.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
228 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

Excellent -I thought Oxford, just wanted to double check.

Also the info on parking on Bath is perfect. Has put my mind at ease.

Thank you everyone for getting back so quickly, greatly appreciate your help :)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windsor Castle Stonehedge Bath and Cotswolds - are we crazy?

I'll just throw this out for your consideration. I've been to Bath several times. The last time, we zipped right along on the motorway, but it all ground to a halt once we near Bath. From there, it took 45 minutes of slow moving traffic, crawling along until we reached the car park. We were counting cars in front of us to see how many light cycles we would need to clear the intersection.

Once we parked, we had to walk back to the place in Bath we wanted to visit, and then hurry back at the end of our time to avoid getting ticketed.

The train faces no traffic, and your parking worries are nil.

It may be a better idea, as stated above, to do Windsor as a separate day trip from London. It is a short journey from Paddington.

Getting to Windsor by train:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Out of curiosity, what car rental firm in Slough were you looking at?