We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What day for day trip to London?

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
What day for day trip to London?

We will be in Paris July 15-21. I was thinking to take a day trip via Eurostar to London. One day Tuesday July 16 through Saturday July 20 to choose for the day trip to London. I was thinking maybe Thursday, July 18. I want to go ahead and buy the Eurostar tickets, which we will be leaving Gare du Nord at 7:13 am and returning that same day departing St Pancras at 8:01 pm.

It will be me and my two teenage kids. We plan to walk around the city center, and also will each have a 1-day London travel card for zones 1-2. Does anyone suggest we should go on a day other than Thursday?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What day for day trip to London?

Eh? Why not any day you fancy, London never closes.

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What day for day trip to London?

I didn;t know if a weekday or weekend day would be better. LIke you indicate, it probably doesn't matter. I have somewhat narrowed it down to Thu, Fri, or Sat.

A related question is ti worth it to do the day trip, i.e., to get an initial exposure to London center, arriving at St Pancras for a 12-hr day?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What day for day trip to London?

Clay,

I think any of the days will work. It will be high season tourist wise. It's not quite the UK school holidays (they usually start the following week), so a weekday may be **slightly** less crowded than a weekend.

The zone 1-2 travelcard will be cheaper at the weekend, as on a weekday you'll be arriving during the peak hour (before 9.30am). But we're talking only £8.80 vs £7.30 adults and £4.40 vs £3.40 for children.

If you want to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offers (for a day visit you'll probably only get one of these in) you'll need the travelcards to be purchased from the National Rail ticket office at St. Pancras (not the tube station). As you emerge onto the concourse at St. Pancras turn right and walk for about 2 minutes and you'll see the ticket office(s) directly ahead.

www.daysoutguide.co.uk

If you do want to go inside a major attraction, it would be advisable to go there first and early, to save on the queue (line) for tickets. It may not be a big deal if you were staying for a few days, but that 20-30 minutes eats into your 12 hours (in practice 10.5 hours when you factor getting from and to St. Pancras and check in).

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 06:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What day for day trip to London?

Very briefly, there is no good reason for not choosing the Thursday. If that suits your plans then Thursday it is !!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,487 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What day for day trip to London?

Just come and enjoy. Then you can tick it off.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What day for day trip to London?

Thursdays are good. Not as busy as weekend days, when some things close. The odd restaurant or attractions might close on a Monday, so a good day to avoid too. Go for it!

7. Re: What day for day trip to London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 05:15