We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

Hi All,

I know it's a long way off but I like to be organised :) October 1-7, 2013

TUESDAY: Fly in, get aquainted with hotel (Best Western Phoenix) & area, check out pharmacy & mall for any items I may have forgotten

WEDNESDAY: Trafalgar Sq for photos, wander down the Mall to BP, Changing of the Guard at B.P, wander back, find lunch. Open top bus tour (3hrs)

THURSDAY: St Pauls, Tower Of London

FRIDAY: Kensington Palace, Harry Potter tour (3pm)

SATURDAY: Windsor Castle, Museum of London

SUNDAY: flex day - whatever I come across/have missed

MONDAY: Fly out to NYC.

Obviously Changing of the Guard will depend on the schedule, and I figured I can move it to another day if need be.

Is this too much/not enough for my days? Want to be able to spend enough time at each place without feeling rushed.

All input is greatly appreciated :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,317 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

On the whole it's not bad nor too rushed, with one exception -

>> SATURDAY: Windsor Castle, Museum of London<<

Windsor is outside London to the west, and the MOL is in the east of the City of London. I just don't think you'll be able to do these justice by visiting the same day. The MOL closes at 6pm on Sarurdays.

Other than that it looks okay. Re the pharmacy, there's a Boots just opposite Bayswater tube station that will cover you for any essentials.

Rather than a bus tour (I assume you mean a HOHO) you might like to consider doing that DIY using London's regular buses. Much cheaper and the regular buses are more frequent (no commentary though). Check out page 6 of the TFL visitor guide, and as an example this DIY tour which covers virtually everything.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/visitor-guide.pdf

londonforfree.net/outdoors/…bustour.shtml

Edited: 31 March 2013, 07:53
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

If you fancy a taste of England (as opposed to London), consider a day trip. There's a list on here. I'd recommend Arundel or Rye in my part of the world, Lewes if you have an interest in pubs - you might actually get to meet some locals that way ! Brighton is more cosmopolitan, but still a great day out by the sea and with good shopping, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Have a good trip.

Mike

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

I wasn't sure if Windsor and MoL was pushing it, so might move MoL to Sunday.

As for the bus tour, I was looking at this one: londontoolkit.com/whattodo/panorama_london_t… without the HOHO option - but if there's already a way I can do it on "regular" buses that sounds good! the links provided give me all the info I need, thankyou!

Am I correct that a 7 day oyster will cover me for tube AND bus? Or will I need to add PAYG credit for this?

Also, any other "must-sees" that I can fit in? Not interested in art or museums much, but very much into the Royal family, history etc. Is Westminster Abbey worth a visit?

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

@ Mike,

Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out :)

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

Westminster abbey is very much worth a visit but it costs £18!

I don't really know how you can be into history but not museums.

Anyway, the original MOL is close to St Paul's and the new bit which is very large is in Docklands, closer to the Tower. While you are in the City, you can see the Roman ruins in the basement of the Guildhall, which fulfils the criteria of historic but not museum.

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

I guess when I say history I mean Royal history, buildings etc.

But thanks for the tips, verity1 - I'll put the Abbey on the "maybe" list, and see how I feel when I'm there. The other tips are super helpful though! :)

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

The Oyster covers bus and tube. I usually take the bus unless it a longer distance. Above ground views are better than the inside of a tunnel.

Cheers

southwales
Level Contributor
769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

You could benefit from a look at Smartsave vouchers which give 20% reduction on some attractions. St Pauls is included but not Westminster Abbey.

http://www.smartsave.com/uk/london-days-out

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

I would try to add a local market to your itinerary, such as Borough Market or a sunday market in the East End (Brick Lane/Sunday Upmarket, Spitalfields, Columbia Road flower market). Absolutely worth it imo!

10. Re: Itinerary Critique please! October 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:15