We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

TALF (Washington branch) debuted last night at the Tabard Inn in D.C. It was a small, intimate group which turned out to be perfect for discussion. Offtolondon arrived early to scope out a spot, relax with a coffee, and eavesdrop on conversations. Awhile later, Heatherfeather arrived after a challenging day. After a nice dose of DC rush hour, Allen074 showed up to share his stories fresh from London. Especially interesting were his accounts of air travel. Travelbug61 soon joined, and the group chatted for a good three hours. Allen was presented the "Triple Crown TALF Award" for attending 3 TALF events within a 3 day period. Amazing! He then cabbed back to bask in the luxury of the Willard Hotel while the rest walked and talked all the way to the Metro. Although these "sub-meets" cannot replace actually being in London, they certainly are the next best thing. Plans for future meets are in the works!

Some topics discussed:

- Virgin Atlantic Upper Class experience vs. Economy vs. Premium Economy - being tucked in bed w/hot chocolate vs. being thrown headphones while a stranger reclines in your lap.

- Comparison of the London Underground to the D.C. Metro.

- Hotel experiences - what's important for the money.

- The wonders of Liberty Dept. Store.

- Regeneration of the South Bank.

- D.C. streets named after states (and which to avoid).

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

offtolondon,

I attended my first TALF on the 24th May, in London, an experience that I do not wish to have missed.

Can you expand on the class experience conversation with Virgin? Is it that instead of someone's head in your face in economy, it's in your lap in Premium?

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

OTL: Yes, please provide more discussion of what was involved, especially "being thrown headphones..." Funny!

And which was thought to be better: the Metro or Underground?

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

Congrats on your first TALF in DC ... Utterly Fantastic. Question - has anyone ever discussed benefits/detractions for using Brit Air vs. Virgin - at any/all classes? ... that could prove to be an interesting discussion. I'm going to attempt to write up my report over the long weekend. At the moment, let it stand that it was simply FABU - and I'm now an even bigger Judi Dench fan!

Ta. MMM!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

Yes Allen made us all jealous with his "lifestyles of the rich and famous" trip. From massages to haircuts to free internet access, Virgins First Class lounge seems miles away from the Economy Class "browse WH Smiths" that I use.

LeeB-

As far as the Metro vs. Tube- The Metro advantage is that there is air conditioned cars(most of the time). The disadvantage is that the Metro not the most userfriendly, ie. hard to use machines, no ticket agents and station managers who only recently stepped out of their little kiosk office. The station managers are infamous in DC as being quite the unfriendly lot(there are exceptions) and appearing exasperated if a rider has a question.

Other topics discussed were the helpfulness of our British TALF, especially Adamhornets and Theartgirl in planning the London events and making us all feel welcome.

All in all it was a wonderful end to a rather trying day. Unfortunately, Tony Blair was in town, but alas couldn't make it-opting instead for a press conference w/the prez. His loss. ;)

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

Thanks for the report, Offtolondon. A fun read. Yeah, I'd love to hear some of the discussion. Sounds animated. ~~while a stranger reclines in your lap~ ha!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

MMM: There have been varous discussions about British Airways versus Virgin. Here's one previous thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k41390…

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

Heatherfeather: I've flown BA first class on two trips and while (for free) and enjoyed the free internet access and food in the lounge. But I still like browsing WH Smith with the hoi polloi.

Did Tony Blair send his regrets? Too bad he couldn't have made it.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

This was my first TALF meet ever - haven't managed to attend one yet in London, but hope to do so in September. Maybe I can emulate Allen, who managed to attend both pub and tea TALF meets in London!

I had a wonderful time at our DC get-together - a big thank-you to OTL for organizing such a lovely evening. One of the many things we exchanged stories about was where each of us had stayed on our visits to Bath. It was especially fun to hear about the Landmark Trust property that OTL rented with friends - a property right next to Bath Abbey, with a view of the Abbey from the bathtub.

Can't wait for our next DC TALF event!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
162 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

I was very sorry to have missed the first DC TALF meeting but I was on the way home from a business trip. I'll look forward to the next one and will be able to share more since I leave for London a week from today - I can hardly wait!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Washington, D.C. TALF Meet - The Report

It sounds like a nice time was had by all! Hats off to Allen074 and would he like to share his jetlag-coping hints?!