TALF (Washington branch) debuted last night at the Tabard Inn in D.C. It was a small, intimate group which turned out to be perfect for discussion. Offtolondon arrived early to scope out a spot, relax with a coffee, and eavesdrop on conversations. Awhile later, Heatherfeather arrived after a challenging day. After a nice dose of DC rush hour, Allen074 showed up to share his stories fresh from London. Especially interesting were his accounts of air travel. Travelbug61 soon joined, and the group chatted for a good three hours. Allen was presented the "Triple Crown TALF Award" for attending 3 TALF events within a 3 day period. Amazing! He then cabbed back to bask in the luxury of the Willard Hotel while the rest walked and talked all the way to the Metro. Although these "sub-meets" cannot replace actually being in London, they certainly are the next best thing. Plans for future meets are in the works!
Some topics discussed:
- Virgin Atlantic Upper Class experience vs. Economy vs. Premium Economy - being tucked in bed w/hot chocolate vs. being thrown headphones while a stranger reclines in your lap.
- Comparison of the London Underground to the D.C. Metro.
- Hotel experiences - what's important for the money.
- The wonders of Liberty Dept. Store.
- Regeneration of the South Bank.
- D.C. streets named after states (and which to avoid).