We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

Hingham...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

I have two choices. A Hotel near Paddington tube station or a Hotel near Canning Town tube station. Canning Town is ~30% cheaper. But would it be inconvenient? I have 5 days to sight see in London and want to spend one day going to Stone Henge & Bath.

I have three adults in my party. Would we be better of with a Travel card for one person and get two oysters for the other? That way we could get two for 1 deals as well as save a bit of money as we might not get full use of the travel card.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,389 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

Name the hotels.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

Easy answer first: everyone who uses the two for one offers needs to hold either a rail ticket for travel to London or a paper Travelcard issued at a National Rail ticket office.

With five days in London it is very likely you will get the full value of a Travelcard. Cards for zones 1 and 2 cost £30.40. Two off peak singles on the Underground in those zones cost £4.20 (£2.10 each); add two bus journeys at £1.40 each and the daiy off peak cap of £7 will have been reached. Seven day cards have no peak / off peak restrictions and as such are useful should you wish to make an early start.

Where in Paddington and in Canning Town are you considering staying? Paddington is a bit west of many sights and attractions, but Canning Town is further from the city centre.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

The Paddington area is likely to offer you more options for eating out and general amusement, eg pubs. It's also beside the station you need to to use if you're going to Bath and Stonehenge by train. That would be my choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

Canning town is bleak and miles to the east, the hotels in the area were built in mind for the city airport and excel centre, I wouldn't stay there for a 5 day sight seeing visit.

Paddington is a lot more central with more things to see and do within walking distance, as mentioned, it is slightly to the west but nothing to concern you imo. Marble arch, Hyde park and Portobello market would be within walking distance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,355 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

Raja P appears to be looking at the Holiday Inn Express in Canning Town. - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k63321…

Raja P, which hotel are you looking at in Paddington? And what is your budget (preferably in pounds ££) for your hotel per night?

Of the two my vote would go to Paddington. Much easier to get to/from the sites, and with more tube and bus options. It's also inside zone 1 whereas CT is out in zone 3.

But if you let us know your budget, perhaps we could recommend a hotel in a better location (than Canning Town at least).

But, if you let us know how

Hingham...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

I was thinking of Cardiff Hotel at 5-9 Norfolk Square which is near Paddington station

or Holiday Inn express Docklands, near Canning Town Station. Holiday Inn express is cheaper ~ L100 vs. L135 for cardiff. Do you have a better recommendation? I would like to limit staying cost to ~L150; but need accommodation for 3 adults to share a room. So basically need a tripple with en suite.

Also for Stone Henge, bath trip, am I better of with a package day trip, rather than train & having to hunt for things.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

See this list of budget hotels: https:/…

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,389 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

The Cardiff is a decent enough hotel, but I wouldn't pay that. Nor would I stay in the HI that far east.

Pick one from the list supplied by TS and come back for advice.

Hingham...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

I am confused. Cardiff is near paddington that seems like north rather than east on the tube map I have. Most hotels on TS list don't have a tripple. On second page there are tripples; but mostly near King's cross, which appears just as far as Paddington and not much better pricewise than Cardiff. What am I missing? Can you suggest a few names and which tube station they would be or should be close to? Will appreciate your suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compare canning Town & Paddington for stay in London

Paddington is to the west of the city centre. King's Cross is, I think, better situated than Paddington. Six Underground lines call at KX along with masses of buses.

Have a look at the Crestfield, Macdonald, Meridiana, Jesmond Dene, and Alhambra hotels near KX. In Cartwright Gardens, consider the Euro Hotel and Crescent Hotel. The Gower Street properties are well worth a look too: the Ridgemount, Jesmond and Arosfa.