We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

I am looking at going to Edinburgh from Billericay in June, either by train or plane, as the title suggests. There is negligible difference in cost between the 2 (£2/3) including all transport costs, and am looking at going and leaving at the plane times are anyway.

With all these being equal, what would you wise TA members recommend travelling by?

Thanks

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Billericay
Billericay
Essex, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

Apologies, can't edit as on smartphone, but would be flying from London Southend airport if that makes any difference

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

I have not made that exact journey but go to Scotland from London quite often and always fly. Just my preference. Too long on a train for me.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,198 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

I flew from Exeter to Manchester with Flybe last October. I assume they also fly Exter to Edinburgh (?)

With all the hassle of getting out to Exeter aiport, etc, it would have taken the same amount of time for me to get the train up north! And it would have cost more or less the same!

Wish I'd taken the train now! But to go that bit further up to Edinburgh, yo might save a couple of hours by flying.

If you like waiting in airport terminals then go for it. If you like being stuck on a train for the same amount of time, go for that option! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

Fly. Kings Cross to Edinburgh is 4.5 hours (give or take) plus you have to factor in the time getting from Billericay to Kings Cross. SEN is practically on your doorstep, it's a compact terminal and if you are flying with hand luggage only you could show up about 40 mins in advance and go straight to the gate. It's then about 30 mins from EDI to the centre of town.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Billericay
Billericay
Essex, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

Other things being equal, it's a question of your personal preferences

In fact even if other things are not equal, it can still be a matter of your personal preferences.

For some people, getting to a destination as fast as possible is the name of the game. For others the travelling can be as important if not more important than the destination. The two groups rarely understand each other.

Essex
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

Haven't tried it, but from Billericay via Southend, with all the reports of how nifty things are at the airport, and the fact you can get there v easily on the train from Billericay Station, seems to make sense to fly.....

Mentioned in this post
Billericay
Billericay
Essex, UK
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

25 minutes on the train from Billericay to Southend Airport, 1 .hr 15 mins flight to Edinburgh - I know which I would choose!

Mentioned in this post
Billericay
Billericay
Essex, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

Hello! I would normally always opt for train , but for this particular journey flying is a very good option. Southend is a pleasure to fly from, and so easy to get to -the rail station is only about a hundred yards from the terminal.

9. Re: Essex to Edinburgh - train or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:16