We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Museums

Sarasota, Florida...
Level Contributor
841 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Medical Museums

Has anyone visited one of the medical museums in London like the Florence Nightingale museum? Which ones would be interesting for pre-medical students from the U.S.?

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,229 reviews
from US$140.27*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,955 reviews
from US$144.39*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
512 reviews
from US$97.64*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from US$97.64*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Museums

Have you seen this site? http://www.medicalmuseums.org/

There are loads of options and I think only you can decide what would interest you. Having said that, II have visited a few on the list and enjoyed them all.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Museums

My favourite is the Old Operating Theatre, Museum and Herb Garret, 9a St Thomas's Street, London, SE1 9RY.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,873 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Museums

Another vote for the Old Operating Theatre but try and go when they're doing one of their talks about early (pre-antisepsis/anaesthesia) surgery.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 15:42
Essex
Level Contributor
27,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Museums

For Med Students, then the Wellcome Collection and the Hunterian Museum should be particularly apt!

The Royak College of Physicians Museum has a good collection of Medical Equipment.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
253 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical Museums

I was disappointed with the Florence Nightingale museum, it was bitty and not well laid out, also there was not very much in there for the price.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 17:54
Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical Museums

The Old Operating theatre is fascinating indeed, like a very vivid trip back in time. Off top of my head, I'd also add the Hunterian Museum ( http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/museums/hunterian ) and the Wellcome Collection ( www.wellcomecollection.org/visit-us.aspx ). Both are free, well reviewed, and on our next to-do-list!

Sorry, at closer sight, I see that this is only repeating suggestions from the list already provided by Mez ;-)

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical Museums

I keep meaning to go to the museum of St Bartholomew's Hospital (which is always known as Bart's) near Smithfield Market. Following an earlier recommendation on Trip Advisor, I did go to the church of St Bartholomews the Great next to the hospital to see the stained glass window of one of her nurses who sacrificed her life in the Second World War.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,972 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical Museums

Another vote for the Hunterian.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,006 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical Museums

They appear to be doing up the Bart's museum, but there could be something interesting going on and medical students might be able to get entry.

www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/about/pathologymuseum/

I have been earleir and despite not being a medical person, I found it fascinating.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical Museums

I loved the old operating theatre, the talk was very informative and the displays of old implements was quite scarey.