We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Staying in Bagshot for a couple of nights (kids 4,7&9), one of the days plan to go to Legoland, the other is free so could use it to get the train into Waterloo. Any particular recommendations to give the kids a "flavour" of London. Was perhaps thinking of walking to the British Museum, or head towards the Jubilee Gardens.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Front seats of the upper deck of a double-decker! Makes for both convenient transport ànd always a hit with the young ones.

There are many fun things within walking distance of Waterloo station too, if the weather is nice, like a stroll along the Southbank (many street buskers), or crossing Westminster bridge towards Whitehall, on to the pelicans in St James Park.

The 3 South Kensingtons museums are very child friendly, but they tend to be crowded on weekends. Kensington Gardens is closeby and has the wonderful Diana Memorial Playground, Peter Pan themed.

Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

The British Museum has a really good selection of Egyptian mummies that children like ( or are frightened by maybe ). Apart from that I think its a bit dry for children. I would go for the Natural History Museum instead and it is linked together with the Science Museum next door. They have more interactive things for children to do, dinosaurs and so much more.

On this website ask the search box for London Cable Car . Perhaps a ride over the Thames in a cable car .

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Hello! I agree - a bit of walking and the top deck of the buses. Great fun, you can see a lot, and you keep dry if it's raining. Also fun are the Clipper boats on the Thames. Personally I would say no to the museums if you only have a short time - you'll see a museum but not much else, and really a 'flavour of London' ought to be the people, sights, sounds, movement, that tremendous sense of life.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Since you'll be coming into Waterloo it probably is worth crossing York Road. They opened a nice little playground in front of the London Eye , so it would be good to let the children burn off some steam before embarking on "culture".

The downside is that you might get nagged to go on the London Eye, the London Aquarium and the London Dungeon. If you think that is likely, it might be worth pricing up Merlin Passes (same group as Legoland) and/ or looking at 2 for 1 offers.

My 5 year old still loves the Thames Clipper Service and the front top seats of a double decker. In terms of Museums she is not impressed with the British Museum (she thinks the Mummies are creepy, but quite likes the Elgin Marbles), but loves to spend time at the Science Museum.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Just another thought. The free museums and art galleries are a useful source of loos and cake!

We're getting to see quite a lot of the National Portrait Gallery this way.

If the weather is likely to be cold/wet it is helpful to look at the museum websites before visiting. The Science Museum, for example, has an iMax cinema (£) and free children's shows and most have information packs of some description.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far.

I've noticed on the South West trains website that we can add a travelcard option for about an extra £7 to the (2+3 fmly rail card) off peak day return rail ticket. I guess this would allow travel on the Tube and buses in at least the central London zones and save on the need to get an Oyster Card?

Train fares are quite eyewatering, to think I thought the Edinburgh Glasgow route was expensive!

I'll look at the 2 for 1 offers you seem to be able to get with a train ticket. Already got Legoland tickets with Tesco vouchers so Merlin Pass not an option. We're also members of the NTS which allows us to visit National Trust properties, so this is another option, does seem a shame though to get so close to London and not visit it.

7. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 16:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

While a cost.. kids love a ride in the London Eye. Free idea - feed the ducks in St. James's park & walk by the Horseguards on Whitehall, etc...

There's a great resource in the TA articles on family travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-s401/London:U…

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Take a black cab ride, they will probably love the fold down seats. With 3 kids, yours will have to take turns though, only two fold down seats :-)

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for afternoon London visit with kids

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, unfortunately didn't make it into London as one of the kids became unwell overnight. Did manage to see a lego version of the landmarks the previous day though!