We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
7 posts
Save Topic
Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

My wife and I are avid campers and live in South west London. We have been wanting to plan a camping long weekend for sometime now but have not felt comfortable with the quality of campsites at our disposal within 2 hr drive from home. Can anyone recommend a good campsite. Not one that has loads of campervans, kids screaming all night and gnomes planted outside tents. We are prepared to pay extra for clean and hot water ablutions!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

Are you looking for somehwre to pitch your own tent or a caravan site with fixed vans to rent?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

Do people really plant gnomes outside their tents slaughts or are you having us on? :o)

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

Okay, I'll assume you mean you want to pitch your own tent. Have a look at Tom's Fields, Dorset, it might take a little longer than 2 hours to drive but it's worth it. Any funny business and the owner takes no time at all to chuck out noisy or troublesome twonks. The area is incredibly beautiful and I hightly recommend you to take the long walk to Dancing Ledge.

http://www.tomsfieldcamping.co.uk/

Here's some reviews that I found.

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp…

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

Slaughts: You might have more luck on a website like

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

It seems to have a thriving message board where you can swap tent tips and campfire tales.

London
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

thank you all for your replies - very helpful. Yes we do want a quite site to pitch our tent and take our bikes. I have heard so much about Dorset and will definetly give Tom's Fields a try. Thanks again!!!

London
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk is perfect - just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

Hi fellow camper! Glad you found a site.

Rose ~ yes, people probably do put plastic gnomes outside their sites. My parents were what is lovingly referred to as "snowbirds". They motored to climes southern every winter (Arizona) in their motorhome. Once safely planted in the senior citizen RV park, they would promptly place the following items outside their door: one hummingbird feeder, 2 plastic howling coyotes (with fresh bandanas tied on their necks), one fake rock, a chile pepper windchime and a handpainted (by me) University of Nebraska football sign. And their campsite was tame compared to many others.

rural Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

Hello, Being my first time posting, the first attempt didn't make it when I tried to add a link :-(

What I wanted to say was that in 2000 we tent camped around Britain for three weeks. My memory on details is sketchy but I do have notes. I'm not sure how far 2 hours west of London will take you but I am pretty sure these two campgrounds would fall into that range--

Hardwick Park near Standlake....arrived here in the dark and rain so I can't tell you much about it! www.hardwickparks.co.uk

Blackland Lakes which I believe was in the Cotswolds. Rather noisy with a co-ed bathouse. Hmmm, I was a little surprised! Toilet area appeared to be mixed but shower areas at opposing ends of the building. www.blacklandlakes.co.uk

Not sure I can give a positive report on either but you might like to check the web sites. Any questions on other camps, I might do a better job of remembering.

elksmile on aol message boards--thanks KayB95 for directing to this forum!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

FSM a chile pepper windchime?! I knew there was something missing in my garden!

10. Re: Camping within 2 hours drive of west London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 16:19