We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Iron Maiden fans

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Calling Iron Maiden fans

My husband and son are big fans of the band. Any suggestions as to where they can go as a 'pilgrimage' while we are in London? Thanks.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

Well a few years ago it would have been the Ruskin Arms in East Ham, which was where the band started up, unfortunately that has now closed, I honestly can't think of anywhere specific off the top of my head. If your son is old enough The Intrepid Fox Bar at 15 St. Giles Street, is a Rock and Metal bar, that has hosted Maiden a few times, maybe start there. If I think of anything I will let you know.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 07:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

You could always take a trip out to West Ham United in honour of Steve Harris.Maybe purchase one of their shirts.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

Or you could go to an airport and look at the planes ... in honour of Bruce Dickinson.

Or try and buy a sword?

:-)

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

They used to play Hammersmith Apollo a lot in the 80's, it was pretty much their home venue then. It's still a concert venue now with shows most days, quite often metal or rock bands.

nantwich
Level Contributor
612 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

Oh, something I know something about!

The Intrepid Fox is not the original venue that all the old rock bands used to hang in. That closed down in 2006 and is now a fancy burger joint called, confusingly, The Intrepid Fox as well.

The new IF is still a VERY heavy rock pub (think Pantera, Fear Factory, Slayer and so on), I've been there quite a few times and I like it but be warned, it can be a bit clique-y, you might have a great night or you might be turned away at the door for no good reason, particuarly at weekends. And if you get in, the bar service can be, shall I say, 'variable'... or damn rude is another way of putting it.

Check it out anyway, it could be fun. As a long-term Maiden fan, I will now rack my brains to think of something Maiden-y you can do...

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

When are you coming? They're playing on June 15th, at the Download Festival, Donington, in the UK.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/tourdates.php

Or, Maybe you can do an overnight trip to one of their European dates?

Boston...
Level Contributor
912 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

I was expecting this thread to be about Iron Maiden's new beer, LOL.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

I've never had that experience in the Intrepid Fox Kev and while I'm a huge fan of metal music I totally don't look the part, must have got lucky :-) Yes the original venue is in Wardour Street, Soho.

nantwich
Level Contributor
612 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

Helking, I've never been turned away either, I've been there about a dozen times, always had a great night, but a quick internet search will throw up some people who've had bad experiences. But I will say that the bar staff can be somewhat, shall we say, 'selective' about who they choose to serve...

No matter. If you're into the heavier side of music, this is a good place to go.

As to the original post... I'm struggling to think of Maiden-specific places that would mean anything to fans. It's not like Madness in London, The Beatles in Liverpool or The Smiths in Manchester... sorry.

Hope you enjoy London anyway.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling Iron Maiden fans

Cart & Horses Pub - "The Birthplace of Iron Maiden''

www.cartandhorses.co.uk/page01.asp?page_id=3