Hi Friends. I'm ready to book my August trip to lovely England, but need feedback from the experts. We are a budget-conscious, family of 5 (kids aged 12, 17, and 19), who love history, Shakespeare, Harry Potter, and charming villages.
Day 1 Fly into Heathrow - Sleep in London
• Westminster Abbey
• National Gallery (National Portrait Gallery if time/patience allows?)
• British Museum
• St. Paul’s Cathedral
• Tower of London
• Globe Theater tour and play
• Churchill Museum and War Room
• Harry Potter Movie Set (Harry Potter fanatic aboard!)
• A market or two
• A walking tour or two
Q: The guidebooks advise taking the Tube around London. Will it still be cheaper since we have to buy 5 adult tickets?
Q: I think the best/cheapest sleeping arrangement would be renting a flat. Does it matter where it’s located? Price is definitely an issue.
Q: Do you think I can cover all of my sightseeing interests in 6 days?
Q: Did I leave anything out that is a “must see”?
Q: Is that too much in one day?
Q: Should we start the day early up north in Avebury because it make geographical sense? Or should we start at Stonehenge to avoid the crowds, and then double back?
• Drive to Bath early AM - Sleep in Lacock
• Drive around Cotswolds - Sleep ?
Q: Which towns are the least touristy?
Q: Where to sleep? Where to visit?
Q: Is Oxford a “must-see”?
• Drive to Stratford-Upon-Avon
• See ALL Shakespeare attractions (Shakespeare fanatic aboard!)
• Royal Shakespeare Theater at night
• Warwick Castle on Day 12
Day 13 Drive back to Heathrow - Fly home (?)
I would expecially appreciate advice on places to stay for a family of 5, and how to make the trip most cost effective. Also, whether I've overlooked any scheduling issues or missed some special sights. Thank you, in advance!! This is my first Forum post, and I'm nervous!!