We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

Hi.

Can someone please advise me on the best method of transport from the Aloft London Excel hotel to Leighton Buzzard train station. We will be checking out around 10am on a Monday morning and dont need to be at Leighton Buzzard untill 2pm to make our way to a canal boat yard. Would a taxi be an affordable option as there are 4 adults travelling? We have a single small suitcase each.Train travel was our first choice but I am now wondering if a taxi would be the better choice as we can go directly from the hotel to the boat yard. Many thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

Trainsn to Leighton Buzzard depart from London Euston station, not handy for the DLR from Prince Regent. The journey to central London isn't arduous, but does involve a bit of a walk, perhaps 10 minutes.

Since you plan to travel off peak, single fare for all four will be £28; I don't think you could book a car service from the ExCel to Leighton Buzzard for that sum.

From Prince Regent DLR station (nearest the Aloft ExCel), take the train to Tower Gateway, where there is an escalator down from the train platform to street level. Turn right out of the station, cross the triangle junction and walk along the Minories to Aldgate High Street. You'll see the Underground station on the far side of the road when you reach the junction.

From Aldgate station (where there are stairs down to the platforms), take either the Circle line via Liverpool Street and King's Cross or Hammersmith & City line via Liverpool Street and King's Cross. You'll then have a decision to make: alight at King's Cross, where there is a lift to the ticket hall and street level then a 10 minute walk to Euston station, or continue on to Euston Square station, where there are about 30 steps up from train platform to ticket hall and street level, then a five mintue walk to Euston rail station.

If I were making the journey I'd probably walk from King's Cross to Euston. You may, if you wish, split the difference and take a taxi from Tower Gateway to Euston rail station.

Edit: if you've not seen an Underground map, here's one for your perusal. tfl.gov.uk/assets/…standard-tube-map.pdf

Edited: 08 April 2013, 06:44
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

Hi traveller-Plus,

Thankyou for such a detailed answer.

After reading your advice we will definitely take the train.

Sounds like a bit of an adventure.

Once again many thanks.

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

I think the advice from TravellerPlus is spot on, though I would question the train fare quoted. Off-peak single fare from London Euston to Leighton Buzzard would be £14 each, meaning a total of £56. Add on the fares between your hotel and Euston station plus a taxi to the boat yard once you get to Leighton Buzzard (which would be roughly another £15) then a taxi that can do the whole journey begins to sound more attractive.

I live in Leighton Buzzard so let me know if you want any recommendations for taxi firms.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

Groupsave reduces the cost of the rail tickets by 50% - four travel for the price of two

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

You're dead right, dzug1...I hadn't thought of Groupsave. That makes the train option as suggested by TravellerPlus a lot more attractive. I can see that Groupsave is available on the London Midland website, but it doesn't seem to be offered as an option on thetrainline.com? Will our travellers have to be careful where they buy their tickets?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,354 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

Groupsave will be available from any railway station, but you might have to ask for it by name.

Trainline is a reseller and doesn't offer the full range of train tickets (and adds on various fees).

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

The trainline shows groupsave as a railcard - some companies automatically offer it if the appropriate number of passengers is entered.

You can buy groupsave on the day - it doesn't need advance purchase other than for convenience

London
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

There is an alternative route from Prince Regent to Euston. It involves a rather busy change at Bank, but involves a lot less walking than TP's route and takes you directly into Euston.

Take the DLR towards TowerGateway. (Note that some trains on your line go to Stratford International, so make sure you get on a Tower train). Change trains at Shadwell (same platform) and continue on the DLR to Bank. At Bank, get off at the rear of the train, and look for the small connecting staircase to the Northern Line platforms. This is a fairly short staircase - but it struggles to cope because it is narrow. If you want to avoid that staircase (and only add about three minutes to the journey) get off at the front of the DLR train, take the escalator towards Bank exit, then turn right to the Northern Line platforms. Take any northbound Northern Line train direct to Euston.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

We have looked into the Groupsave option and I am sure that is the way to go. After looking at the tube map we saw that the DLR went to Bank station. I think this is the option we will take. We have succesfully negotiated subway systems in Hong Kong and Singapore , Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok and are really looking forward to the challenge of London. Your local knowledge really helps and the handy hints are much appreciated.

10. Re: Train from London hotel to Leighton Buzzard.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 07:17