We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check in times for short flights to Europe

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Topic
Check in times for short flights to Europe

Hi all,

We are looking at flying from London to Stockholm at the end of our London visit and I was wondering what the check in time for short flights are, I am used to checking in 3 hrs before an international flight but I'm hoping its not that long for these short flights.

If we fly on the 11.30 BA flight from heathrow what is the minimum time we have to check in by would anyone know?

Thanks

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

I would normally allow about 90 minutes, but plenty of people will tell you longer. At T5 you have to be in to security by 35 minutes before your departure, which means checking in before then. You also need a buffer for travel delays getting to the airport.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

According to the Heathrow website, 2 hours is the recommended time for European flights. I always allow at least this. I am one of those people who would prefer to be early and have a coffee rather than pelting through the airport at breakneck speed :-)

Edited: 08 April 2013, 08:05
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,901 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

If you will be able to check in on line for the flight, arriving at LHR T5 at 0930 - 1000 should allow sufficient time to drop your bags and go through Security.

Travel time from Holborn to LHR T5 will be just under an hour on the Piccadilly line. The walk from the Underground station to Departures will take a couple of minutes, a quick whisk up in the lifts.

Keep in mind though that conformance at T5 means pax must have completed check in, dropped bags and gone through Security no later than 35 minutes before scheduled departure time. Allow for potential delays in transport and potential queues at Security, then decide whether you want to aim to arrive at the airport at 0930 or 1000.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

I aim for 2 hours . This allows a margin in case of unexpected delays.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

I would plan to be at Heathrow at least 2 hours before departure. You still have to go through the same security as everyone else, and BA has a hard and fast rule that you must be through security at least 35 minutes (I think) before departure. And there could be delays en route to the airport (rare if using public transport but you don't want it to be your unlucky day).

Also, with BA you can do online check in (OLCI) from 24 hours before your departure. Do that and aim for 2 hours and you should be okay.

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

Thanks everyone, I was hoping it would be quicker but oh well.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

Definitely 2 hours, it's better to have time for a coffee than risk missing the flight.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

"I am used to checking in 3 hrs before an international flight"

This is an international flight.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

>>>"Thanks everyone, I was hoping it would be quicker but oh well"<<<

It would be if you were using a small airport like London City.

10. Re: Check in times for short flights to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:17