We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from 2 different airports

USA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Topic
Flights from 2 different airports

Hello, I was wondering if I could fly into Heathrow from Philadelphia, and on my return flight leave from Manchester? Would this incur additional charges, has anyone done this before, used 2 different airports for arrival/departure?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from 2 different airports

You're looking to make an open jaw booking, aka a multi city booking. US Airways do operate a nonstop service from MAN to PHL, but keep in mind that schedules are always subject to change.

If your preference is another airline not US then your flight from MAN to PHL will be one via LHR.

Should you book an open jaw ticket with a connection at LHR, please ensure you allow sufficient time for that connection, especially if you will have to change terminal buildings.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,273 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from 2 different airports

www.britishairways.com fly Manchester - Philadelphia via Heathrow

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,840 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from 2 different airports

"Open Jaw" tickets are priced as round trips. They may a little more expensive than flying a straight round trip, but you don't have to book them as two one ways (which can be very expensive).

TravellerPlus' advice is good. US flies non stop to/from both London and Manchester, and you can get open jaws on BA via Heathrow (the return being MAN-LHR-PHL). Delta/Air France/KLM may offer you one stops both ways. Another option (it may be cheaper) is to look at flying open jaw from Newark with United (non stops to both LHR and MAN), and use the train from Philadelphia to/from Newark Liberty. Obviously you'd have to factor in the cost of the train.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 09:04
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from 2 different airports

Play with the multi-city option on kayak.com

It will tell you your options for when you want to travel. If, as is likely, multiple flights are required on travel from Manchester then do check other northern airports as it's possible they might work out cheaper especially if you have to travel to Manchester for the flight home.

USA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from 2 different airports

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - when did flights from PHL to LHR get so expensive? I was just checking out flights for June and the return fare is over $1,500. I fly to London regularly as I have family there, and I don't ever remember it being this high both on US Air or BA. In fact I flew around the Olympics last summer and even that wasn't so bad.

6. Re: Flights from 2 different airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 06:15