We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disposable cell phones

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
disposable cell phones

I will be arriving in the London area for 10days on a "mission of mercy" (My sister is very ill) I will need a cell while I'm there and would like to know the cost. I will need to make some calls to Canada. I am 65+ and not very techie. Will not need internet

Please help

London
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disposable cell phones

London is awash with stores selling cheap PAYG phones. Every high street has multiple outlets. You can oick up a phone and some airtime for about £20.

When you leave, please don't dispose of the phone by binning it, there are many charity shops that would welcome it - they get a small amount for recycling it.

Good luck with sister's recovery.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disposable cell phones

Probably about £20-30 including £10 of call credit.

Tesco Mobile have some from £9 ...

…tescomobile.com/mobile-phones/pay-as-you-go…

Look for Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U, or many big supermarkets will have a limited selection. Check the cost per minute for calling Canada as that can vary widely.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,145 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disposable cell phones

Hope your sister gets better.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: disposable cell phones

Though you may not be techie, you do need to think hardish about this.

We recently bought more or less the cheapest phone available for someone under similar circumstances to yours. In the stress of hospitalisation, she then ran up an enormous airtime bill - which, with more attention to airtime rates and contracts, could have been avoided.

Though you've got far better things to do than traipse round phone shops, there's a high possibility you'll be dragged into long transatlantic calls, or lengthy discussions with your sister's friends and contacts. It's particularly important to make sure you've bought a phone with an airtime plan that isn't going to bankrupt you.

Carphone Warehouse has a good reputation for salespeople well enough trained to understand what's right for a customer: Phones4U a reputation for the most aggressively commission-driven salespeople - and supermarkets for terrific product ranges, but no trained staff at all. Other posters here might have a different take on them - but John Lewis has the best reputation in Britain for well trained sales staff motivated to understand what customers want and get them the right, rather than the most profitable, product.

It's easy to think you've saved £5 on a cheap phone, then find you're paying hundreds in the course of an illness. I realise you've no idea how much phoning you'll be doing, but it's worth the effort to think through what you're likely to be doing, and brief staff to help you find an appropriate plan.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,019 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disposable cell phones

Again, they are not disposable, please recycle it.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disposable cell phones

A search on Carphone Warehouse website, shows mobile phones for £2.95 and upwards (plus top up):

carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/…pay-as-you-go

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: disposable cell phones

Do you have a mobile at present and is it compatible with the uk network? If so you might be better with just a SIM card and your existing phone. If you don't have one don't worry, it's just a thought.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: disposable cell phones

I got great advice from Carphone Warehouse. I've used my pay as you go phone for the second year now and have only paid 15 GBP including the airtime. Incoming calls are free and texts are about 20 pence each, even overseas. Text you family at home and let them call you back for only 20p! (the incoming call costs you no airtime)

Yes, if you spend alot of time calling out, it can be costly. Let incoming calls save you money and text when possible.

9. Re: disposable cell phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 05:17