We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest vs Southern Rail

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest vs Southern Rail

Forgive my ignorance on this, but are these two companies one in the same?

I looked at trips from London to Portsmouth Harbour on Sunday, June 23rd under both these rail company websites, and they had trains leaving the exact same time from the same rail station (Waterloo or Victoria).

They must be the same, or sell each others tickets...that's all I can think of. But whose trains are they really. Thanks.

Ryde, Isle of...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Southwest vs Southern Rail

I've used these lines a few times travelling in and out of London and I really wouldn't worry about the ticket prices for upgrades; just get the cheapest ones. You'll probably end up sat on the floor anyway, I always used to.

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Southwest vs Southern Rail

"You'll probably end up sat on the floor anyway"

I think that's unlikely. The SWT train to Southampton is likely to be a 10 carriage unit - and on a Sunday you would be unlucky not to get a seat.

The only thing to check for (and check nearer the date) is whether any weekend engineering works will cause delay or diversion.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Southwest vs Southern Rail

Thanks for the information, I already checked the engineering works and there is some but I think it only affects the Southampton area not Portsmouth.

My husband will flip if we don't get first class, I'll have to see what makes sense for us later.

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Southwest vs Southern Rail

My husband will flip if we don't get first class, I'll have to see what makes sense for us later.

My apologies for saying Southampton when you're going to Portsmouth. The Portsmouth trains are still a long train, often 8 coaches.

My suggestion for your husband would be to ask him how upset he'll be if you pay a huge premium for a first class fare on a service (on this particular route) that is barely 10% better than standard class.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Southwest vs Southern Rail

The only real reason for paying for first class is for travel in the weekday peak when 1st class passengers might be more likely to get a seat. On a Sunday morning the difference is minimal, the seats are slightly bigger, there are power sockets and that part of the train will be completely empty.

Very little advantage to buying a ticket in advance - there is a train every 30 minutes.

If you are coming back the same day a return will only be slightly more than a single as it is super off peak all day on a Sunday.

16. Re: Southwest vs Southern Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 05:17