We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,850 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

After much tooing and froing and with apologies for the delay I can finally announce our next pub meet. It will be at The Victoria located between Paddington and Lancaster Gate stations on Monday April 22nd,

Details as follows - The date: Monday April 22nd from 6.30pm

The pub: The Victoria, 10a Strathearn Place, London W2, 2NH.

If the weather behaves then I will try to grab one of the outside tables but otherwise please look for us inside and look for the TALF sign. It's a small pub!

http://victoriapaddington.co.uk/

Directions from Lancaster Gate: exit tube, turn left and in 20 metres bear left into Stanhope Terrace. Continue on this road for about 200 metres and the pub will be ahead of you on the left on the corner of Stanhope Terrace, Sussex Place and Strathearn Gardens.

From Paddington it's nearer but a little harder as there are numerous exits. Head for London Street which becomes Sussex Place as you cross Sussex Gardens and the pub is ahead at the end of the road.

If you have a moment to confirm that you are coming then it would be helpful as if we get enough people committed we may be able to hire the smaller upstairs function room.

So far the following have said they should be around on that date: naej, jdmckay and Mrs Mckay, cynbook, Tiggit and IlovelondonandNYC.

All others, locals and visitors, will be made most welcome.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

I really hope to be there Adam. Staying at Whetstone that and the previous night. Looking forward to seeing you again, I hope I find the pub, remember I am a bus girl!

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

Meaning I prefer to travel by bus when poss.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

Too bad, I don't arrive until the 25th and was really hoping to meet some of you. Oh well, cheers anyway!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

Awesome! This will be our first pub meet. We plan to be there!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

As I posted on the other thread before I saw this one, sounds good to me. Count me in. As it is my first TALF, how will I recognize you? Secret handshake? Flag on the table? Or just look for the most suspicious group?

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

I would say look for the most suspicious/shadiest group! First timers here as well.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,850 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

I have a TA sign (well it's gone missing but I will print off a spare!) which I will try to place in a conspicuous place and I will also try to warn the bar staff as to our location. Don't be afraid of walking up to strangers and asking - one or two people have missed out in the past by not doing so.

It will make it easier if we can grab one of the few outside tables - I can spot tourists from 100 paces! Outside heaters mean that it won't be too cold as long as it's dry.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,284 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

Adam, are there any Premier Inns or similar within walking distance? I had a look at the local hotels and not so good.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

There's no Premier Inn but the Easyhotel Paddington is 3 or 4 minutes walk away and can be had for about £35 a night if you're lucky (quick search just now showing £44 for the 22nd), it's not bad if you just need a bed and a shower... no frills obviously.

Chains wise there are just the 2 Hiltons (Metropole and Paddington Station) and a Novotel at Sheldon Square if you want more comfort but I think the rates are nearer 2 hundred. Adam knows the better independent guest houses I believe.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,850 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TALF pub meet April 22nd 2013

The Rhodes offers arguably the best value of all the budget hotels on Sussex Gardens although the Darlington Hyde Park is probably the nicer hotel. Both hotels are literally around the corner from the pub.

There is also a decent old fashioned hotel directly across the road from Lancaster Gate tube that a few friends have used on a regular basis but my brain is on the fritz at the moment so I can't recall the name!