We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Buses - Which one?

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London Buses - Which one?

Love London and I really like traveling by bus - the tube is very crowded and you can't actually SEE anything if your on the tube, but i find it a bit more complicated to get around on a bus even though i much prefer it, any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: London Buses - Which one?

Use …tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2… and uncheck everything but "bus" in the lower right hand of the page.

Once you have the bus route number(s), plug it in here: www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/

Edited: 11 April 2013, 22:00
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: London Buses - Which one?

Lots of bus maps here: www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Buses - Which one?

There's also the "Welcome to London" visitors' guide which includes (section 6) a simplified map of key bus routes in Central London. Download from here:

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/visitor-guide.pdf

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: London Buses - Which one?

If you go to Google Maps, you can Zoom In tightly to locations in London and you will see small blue bus icons. Left Click on the icon and a window will open showing the bus route numbers.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Buses - Which one?

The link TS supplied in post two is, I think, easier to navigate than the link in post one. The individual bus maps will give a dark red route on a cream background, and one can swoop in on any stop to find out what other buses call there; there is a countdown board feature at that page as well.

But the spider maps available from the Maps page give a broad view, and although not indicative of specific roads travelled (outside the shaded centre areas), they give a great deal of information on one page.

The best way to become familiar with London buses is to use them.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Buses - Which one?

Page 6 of the TFL Visitor Guide has a nice map of the main bus routes within central London.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/visitor-guide.pdf

If you can let us know where you're staying we can also locate the spider map for that area, that will help you further.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,056 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London Buses - Which one?

I'm with USBT. Tell us your start point and we'll send you north, south, east and west.

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
984 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Buses - Which one?

I find Google maps to be much easier than the tfl.gov site.

You can get route information by typing in your destination, click "get directions," add the starting location, click the bus icon (gives you all public transport options), click the blue "get directions." On google, you can click on the various routes offered and compare them. It also helps to have "transit" selected on the drop-down menu on the right hand side of the map.

Sometimes the routes offered by Google vary from the ones suggested by tfl.gov, so you may want to look at both.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Buses - Which one?

When I bought my Oyster Card at Heathrow a couple of years ago, I asked about using it on a bus, and the clerk "Sure" and gave me a paper map for the main area (maybe Zone 1 & 2, not sure of that). It was the most complicated thing I have ever seen. I remember looking at it in my jet lag haze on the Tube going into the city, knowing there was no hope of me ever boarding a bus.

BUT.... once I took a few minutes, got lost a couple of times, I figured out how to use them, they were fantastic! . For nine days I carried the thing with me, even had to buy tape to repair it, but was much more valuable than what I tried to use from online. I saw so much more than I would have on the Tube!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Buses - Which one?

fcs, is this the map? tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/cent… At first glance it does look like it was put together by committee (none of whom consulted with the others during the creation of it) but when viewed piece by piece does make sense.

These Central London Bus Maps are still available as paper foldout maps, if not at Underground stations then at Travel Information Centres.