We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPad data sim for 1 month.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
86 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
iPad data sim for 1 month.

Will be in England for all on June 2013 and need advice on which sim to get. Will have wifi some of the time but when on the road want to be able to access google maps etc. We will be in the Cotswolds, Cornwall and Devon if that makes a difference on the coverage.

Starting in London and want to buy it there and get it working.

Where do I start looking?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U. both cover all the major networks and have shops every few hundred yards it seems. The major networks all have their own shops as well.

All SIMs operate UK-wide, but coverage in rural areas for 3G is more variable and you may find places where one network is stronger than another.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,401 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

You can also plan your trip using

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

or

http://www.viamichelin.com/

I would definitely have a paper map as back-up.

Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
86 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

Thanks for that will check them all out

Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
86 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

Found a Carphone warehouse not far from our hotel, and a bookshop over the road ( to buy maps). Google maps and street view are great, just spent 1 hour walking around the area.

Thanks Laura and Bob for your info. Only 7 weeks to go!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

A large number of cafe's etc have free wifi, I'd suggest installing the cloud fast connect app as once registered you are automatically signed into free cloud hotspots and O2 wifi used by cafe's such as Costa, once registered you don't have to sign in again, also the area around Trafigular square, I think is covered in free wifi.

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

Does Carphone Wharehouse activate the 3g network while for you or is this something you have to do yourself? We will have our IPads with us and want to use the 3g network while in London. I will pass along the info re the cloud fast connect to my husband.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

Hi, they should do if you ask them, but it may be a simple case to go to mobile data under settings and enable the 3G option there, if its from the us just make sure it'll be compatible before you bring it over.

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

We have used our IPads on the 3g network when last in London and Scotland, we bought a microsim from Vodaphone and T Mobile and it was fine though I think at the time TMobile was the better deal. It appears that Carphone W has a better deal and it would be easier if they can activate it as everyplace we have been usually the store people activate it.

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

JDTalor

Where or what is the cloud fast connect app under as I didn't see it in the app store

new york city
Level Contributor
314 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iPad data sim for 1 month.

i just looked it up. search the app store under 'fast connect' and it's there.