We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Itinerary

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London Itinerary

I am hoping some fellow trip advisors can help as I am feeling rather overwhelmed in planning a London itinerary. My husband, myself and another couple are traveling to London, flying from the US tomorrow and arriving on Tuesday. We will be there for 7 days, flying home Tuesday April 23rd. This is our first trip to London. We planned this trip less than a month ago and hence our lack of organization. We have rented an apartment in the Ranelagh House in Chelsea and I believe the closest tube station is Sloane Street. We plan to buy a 7 day travel card. We would like to do one day trip outside London, perhaps to the Cotswolds, or Cambridge or Greenwich. I know what we are interested in seeing and doing but am not sure how to organize it. On our primary list and in no particular order are:

British Museum

Westminster Abbey

St. Paul's Cathedral

Cruise on the Thames

Borough Market, and any other suggested markets for food or antiques, etc

Afternoon Tea, possibly at Fortum and Mason (do I need reservations?)

Having Indian food, Chinese food, fish and Chips, visiting pubs

St. Martin in the Field for a meal in the Crypt

National Gallery

Brick Lane area and markets

Riding a double decker bus

We are interested in discovering neighborhoods, cafes, used bookstores, antiques, markets of all kinds, pubs, art. Our friends are very interested in the theater.

Secondary list would include the Tower of London, Kew Gardens, London Eye, the War Museum, Selfridges, British Library, the Globe.

I am feeling overwhelmed just writing it and I realize we can't fit it all in in one week but any day planning/area itineraries would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Itinerary

Greenwich is a lovely place to go, lots to see but a bit less stressful than the city centre. Unless you specifically want a river trip with a commentary, you could combine two activities by taking the Clipper (public transport) boat to Greenwich. Greenwich also has an excellent market

You have the TOL on your secondary list, but it is arguably the most important historical building in London, encapsulating 1000 years of our history, IMO you should up it to your primary list. Its also very interesting and the Beefeater led tours are very informative and entertaining(for a flavour, look for them on YouTube) You could combine it with a bus ride as the route 15 from Trafalgar Square to TOL is a very good general sightseeing route, and many of the services are run on 'heritage' buses

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Itinerary

This Wednesday is the funeral of Margaret Thatcher and the procession will be going from the Houses of Parliament to St Pauls and will affect traffic in that area of London so it might be a good day to do Greenwich which is well away from the centre. After a bitterly cold spring we are at last due some sunshine this week too.

On another day you can take a walk from Buckingham Palace down the Mall or through St James Park to Trafalgar Square with the National Gallery on one side of it. The big church on the corner of the square is St Martins in the Field with the restaurant / café in the crypt. Then walk down Whitehall past Downing St and you come to Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament.

As you stand looking at Buckingham Palace round the far left hand side is the Queens gallery and at the entrance is a really good souvenir shop. The gallery is not free but the shop is free to enter.

Borough market is a food market and is open only on Thurs Fri and Sat

Portobello Road antiques market in Notting Hill is on a Saturday.

So how about Greenwich on Wednesday, the walk on Thursday, Borough market on Friday ( only half a day or less ) , Notting hill on Saturday ( probably not a whole day either)

The Cotswolds is too far for a day trip but a one hour train journey from central London will take you to Cambridge or Canterbury or Windsor or Winchester , all lovely historic towns. In Cambridge you can take a trip on a punt along the River Cam along the backs of the university colleges.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Itinerary

"We are interested in discovering neighborhoods, cafes, used bookstores, antiques, markets of all kinds, pubs, art. Our friends are very interested in the theater." - This is what I also asked my friend before I went to London

And this is what he answered and I quote, though this is not all that he said. :)

"Chelsea has small roads that start from Sloane Square, such as the pedestrian route in front of the Saatchi Gallery, which you will enjoy exploring.

Shoreditch if you want to explore street art, and culture. There's also markets like Brick Lane or Spitalfield Market for, you know, vintage finds, etc.

Book Skoob in Bloomsbury in the basement of Brunswick shopping centre sells bargain vintage second hand books."

Hope that helps. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Itinerary

It's unlikely to help, considering that the OP came and went two months ago...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Itinerary

Well, yeah. haha! didn't see the date. But for the other people who may find their way in this thread! Cheers. :)

6. Re: London Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:17